Anyone have a L-46 Zebra Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm completely intrigued by the Zebra Pleco I saw in a recent issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Does anyone have one? Anyone know where to get one? ThatFishPlace told me they can't order them for some reason, that I fail to recall (something about they don't export them anymore).

They are very often for sale here:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishp

and here:

http://www.exoticfinds.net/firstplecopage.html

The first link, Aquabid, you are at the mercy of the current bid and they are going for BIG bucks!!! The second link, exoticfinds, had them for $225 a piece and says that htere are only 5 left. I've order a plec from exoticfinds, and they're great, but $225....GEEZ, hope you have some cash to spend!! I purchased a L-316. Just as cute, at a fraction of the price!!

I would mention I've seen a lot of scams in relation to this fish. There's plenty to read on plecofanatics and planetcatfish on this, if you look.
There is an export ban, but it seems a few folks are having success breeding.

The Zebra Pleco can no longer be exported from Brazil. There was a ban put in place I believe a year or two ago. All Zebra's that you find are either tank bred or are illegal. Be very careful with purchasing because there are false-zebras and they are all too common since the ban was put into place.

Fishyfanatic said:
The Zebra Pleco can no longer be exported from Brazil. There was a ban put in place I believe a year or two ago. All Zebra's that you find are either tank bred or are illegal.

Or were exported prior to the ban.

There is a chap in NC that has bought up several (50+) zebras (including a bunch from Winnipeg that he flew up personally to collect) with the intention of starting a breeding operation...he will reel in some serious cash should he succeed. This sort of demand has pushed the going price of an adult zebra to $250-$350 each, and they will only go up from there.

Exotic finds is an enormous plec breeding operation. That's all they have for sale at that site. That's why the Zebra has a limited availibility and a price tag of $225. At Aquabid, you would have to be very careful to avoid getting scammed. I would def. trust Exotic finds...if you have that kind of cash.

cool thanks for the ideas guys ... I don't suppose anyone has or has previously every owned one? I had a queen arabasque and a gold nugget but found them both for under $18 at ThatFishPlace (about 40 mins from my house). Not sure I'm ready to take the plunge, just hoping to learn more and consider my options should I ever come into some extra money (and a breeding tank !!!).

Figure minimum of $1000 for either a breeding pair, or several juvies to (hopefully) establish a breeding pair. Also, they are about as particular as discus when it comes to water quality, particularly for spawning. Then there's the time required to grow the fry to a decent size for sale, then finding buyers. All this is assuming they don't die for some unforseen reason...

I would give an arm and a leg for a breeding pair. I'd be very reticent to spend that much money on a fish though. I'd be afraid I'd kill it and then where would I be?

Problem with Hypancistrus is they hide all the time in the daytime. The only time that species ever comes out is at night. I would have a problem spending that kind of money on a fish that I would never see. I hardly ever see my L-316, and he is a very close cousin to the L-46....They are almost the same fish....except for the pattern and price.

EDIT: My L-316 Rio Jari pleco looks just like this one:

Photo courtesty of www.exoticfinds.net

Attachments

• l-316_112.jpg
    l-316_112.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom