Anyone here ever own a freshwater Moray Eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard fom a lfs that they are very difficult to take care of b/ they rarely eat in captivity. Do you guys agree with this? I want to get a new tank (at least 55 gal) and have a moray eel, but don't know much about the care and maintenance of it, other than is likes a slightly brackish environment and that you feed it feeder fish...

Does anyone have any info on keeping a freshwater moray?

I've only heard of Snowflakes in freshwater.

And don't they go full saltwater as they grow up? IIRC atleast.. Could be wrong..

Allivymar said:
William is correct; FW Moreys aren't really FW, at least not for long. They do enter fresh and brackish waters, but none of em stay there.

I suggest starting off on wetwebmedia for your research; their initial FW morey page is here: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwmorayeels.htm

Oh and the snowflakes? Marine.

Note: Thats what they were labled at my poor quality LFS.

and yay, I was right about something *claps*

I recently kept an eel in my freshwater tank. He started off at a cute 10 inches, but after 2 months he grew to almost 18 inches and ate everything he could catch. He started eating 4 frozen krill every other day to eating 5 cocktail shrip every day and 2 dozen goldfish every week (and clown loaches, pink convicts, etc.) Be prepared to spend a lot of money because he grows and eats, grows and eats... 8O

Oh! Forgot to mention that it took 2 grown men to catch him and move him to a new home with only an oscar (that was too big for his mouth). He does prefer a brackish environment. The new owner and I ran into each other yesterday at the LFS and he's still growing!!!! :mrgreen:

"Elly" was labeled as a "freshwater snowflake eel". The forum and I had a quite a conversation about him and whether or not there was such a thing as a freshwater eel. Perhaps it is still in here somewhere.

"elly" will require a SW tank in about a year and high brackish until then. I suggest returning the eel to the shop and finding something a little more appropriate for your tank. Moray eels are VERY sensitive for the first couple months and if the conditions aren't high brackish it probably won't last very long. It's actually a saltwater fish that travels into FW temporarily to feed (often for extended periods of time). Under ideal conditions it could probably live up to about a year in FW, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom