Anyone here keep ornate rainbows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had my ornate rainbows for going on two weeks now. I'm wondering if they are trying to spawn. A few of my rainbows have very dark coloring in their fins, like an almost navy blue color and some yellow (I'm guessing the more intense colored ones are males?). They are going insane, I've never seen them this active. A have a few (what I believe) are females (colors aren't near as intense) and they are a lot more calm. The ones I think are makes also have a very vivid darn line on them, it's almost a navy blue like their fins are. Can anyone offer some insight on what's going on?

Well you are right in your sexing of them, I have Australians and the same thing applies it's pretty easy to spot a male as far as the likelihood of anything actually coming out of it idk it would be cool but I really haven't heard much about rainbows spawning in aquariums. If you would of stuck with angels you would of had tons of fry by now mine seem to spawn about every three weeks!

Just wondering what species you mean by "ornate rainbow", as the name is applied to two very different types of rainbows. The name should be applied to Rhadinocentrus ornatus, but it is often applied Melanotaenia splendida inornata. Ironically, the subspecific name of the latter actually means plain rather than ornate! I have kept both species (have several breeding tubs of R. ornatus at the moment in my backyard), but need to know which one you have in order to offer advice.

Tony

Just wondering what species you mean by "ornate rainbow", as the name is applied to two very different types of rainbows. The name should be applied to Rhadinocentrus ornatus, but it is often applied Melanotaenia splendida inornata. Ironically, the subspecific name of the latter actually means plain rather than ornate! I have kept both species (have several breeding tubs of R. ornatus at the moment in my backyard), but need to know which one you have in order to offer advice.

Tony

I'll research a bit and be back with the specific name. Ornate was what they were sold as at LFS.

Tony

I have the melanotaenia splendida I inornata.

Back
Top Bottom