Anyone here never do water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the fact that he has to "top off" the water level in the tank is like doing mini water changes. i'm guessing that the water evaporates (where else would it go in a tank that doesn't leak?) fish can survive neglect way better than "over caring". it seems like the more i used to think about my fish tank and try to make it better, the more fish died. then, i stopped caring about the tank, stopped doing water changes, fed them when i remembered, let the algae grow so much that you couldn't see the fish....and they grew and survived. i'm better now about feeding them twice a day and i got an algae eater, but i only do a water change if the fish are acting weird, like not eating or not swimming a lot...and then i only take out 2.5 gallons out of the 20 gallon tank.

I have six betta tanks and the more often I change their water the often they die. I have two bettas that are about five years now and I change their water every 5 months or so. I tryed changing the water every two weeks but they would die by the 2ed water change. Thats why I like bettas, Their hard to kill. :D

Wow, that's crazy, I used to change the water in my betta bowl every week - 2 weeks, he'd get a little cranky with me for the first couple of days but then he was ok. Now he is an a proper aquarium and loves it

Just in case anyone who never does water changes decides to start. Do it gradually. A fish used to old water may go into shock from a big change. Maybe 3 to 5 percent the first few times. Then build up to 10 percent weekly.

You all have me confused..... but i changed the water in my tank last night. The level is low, but am waiting for the water to become room temp before i add more to the existing water in the tank. Is that okay?

once a week for water changes is a little much don't you think. I think like once a month if that should be fine.

now what is this gravel vac all about? I would like to try it out....

thanks, - new to the site...

Lets not forget he has a Gold fish and an Algae eater in the tank..

these two are pretty hardy anyway... now.. if you told me he had a tank full of thriving Discus fish and he never changed the water.. I would be shocked..

bites

once a week for water changes is a little much don't you think. I think like once a month if that should be fine.

now what is this gravel vac all about? I would like to try it out....

I change water once a week. I only do about 15->20% of the water from each tank so it is fairly quick. I have noticed a difference with the fish that is directly related to how often I change the water.

Gravel vac'ing is when you use a siphon to take water out of the tank AND also to lift waste from the gravel. Basically you lift these clouds of waste out of the gravel with the water stream. You fish will love you for it :)

A Kelly - a gravel vac is a syphon hose with a rigid wider-diameter tube on the end, so that when you get a syphon going you can dig the rigid tube around in the gravel and the debris will get suctioned up with the syphon, but leave the gravel behind. It is the best way to keep your gravel clean.

I don't think once a week water changes are too much. I don't think there is such a thing as too much. Discus are not the only fish that would benefit from that regimen - just about any fish would, but most are able to thrive without it.

Frequent partial water changes = less chance for water quality problems.

Problems with water quality are at the root of the majority of aquarium related difficulties. Would it hurt your car to change the oil every week? No, it would not hurt it but it is not terribly practical to do it, since it will continue to run fine on a regular maintenance schedule.

I change water on all mine every 7 days. Every now and then I wait up to 10 days, but only because something else is going on that requires my attention.

Get a Python if you have a larger tank - no more hauling buckets of water! That will translate to more water changes, since it is not such a chore to do it. :wink:

TankGirl said:
Get a Python if you have a larger tank - no more hauling buckets of water! That will translate to more water changes, since it is not such a chore to do it. :wink:

Absolutely! With my python, I can gravelvac/remove/replace 50% of the water in my four tanks in three rooms in under a half hour...and that includes re-coiling the hose for storage and rinsing out the bathtub!

The great thing about buckets is that you are able to capture all that rich nitrate-laden water for the houseplants! Sometimes I disconnect the Python and fill jugs for my neighbors and friends, since when they use the water they really see a difference in their plant growth. Mostly I am in too much of a rush. At least you are getting that upper body workout your'e going to need to throw that bouquet, Menagerie... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom