Anyone interested in discussing Rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wondering! I recently removed some adult gouramis out of the tank hoping to encourage my neons out. I was curious if anyone's rainbows were aggressive towards non rainbows. My Aussies are well behaved but I thought I would ask. I've got Australians , boesmani, and a celebes

Most of the time the only aggression is during spawning or when the males display color trying to encourage a female. I had 2 Yellow Rainbows fight until they were both injured. They died within hours of each other. I believe a female was involved and they were fighting over her.

If you have a long tank, you may see two males race each other back and forth across the tank. I have two they do this all day long. They fast fast side by side about 1/2 inch apart and sort of on their sides. I don't know what this is about but they seem to be friends.

Here is the picture of my orange rainbow that I said I would post. It's not a great picture, but it was the best one I could get. I noticed it has what looks like an injury to his upper mouth area, but it seems to be eating well, so we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• Pic_2.jpg
    Pic_2.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 69
Here is the picture of my orange rainbow that I said I would post. It's not a great picture, but it was the best one I could get. I noticed it has what looks like an injury to his upper mouth area, but it seems to be eating well, so we'll see what happens.

He is beautiful! Mine often get that top of the mouth injury. Mine always get it from being scared and running into something. It never usually bothers them in my experience. Just keep an eye on it so that you do not get a disease, and you will be fine.

Great colors! :)

Come to think of it, the first time i did a water change/gravel vac with him in the tank, he appeared to be continually running into the side of the tank for a few seconds like he was trying to get out, so that's probably what happened. Thanks for the info.

Nice to see all the interest in rainbows. I've kept around 20 or so species through the years, and have collectd quite a few species in the wild as well. Currently I just have two, Melanotaenia duboulayi and the red form of Rhadinocentrus ornatus from Evans Head (see Rhadinocentrus ornatus - Evans Head), as well as a couple of species from the related family Pseudomugilidae. (One, Pseudomugil signifer, is very common in the creeks in my neighbourhood.) There's a lot of information out there on rainbows, including several forums devoted just to them. You can also download Adrian Tappin's excellent e-book on rainbowfish for free. I think one or other of the links given here still works: Free eBook Download: Rainbowfishes: Their Care and Keeping in Captivity by Adrian R. Tappin — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog. Let me know if they don't work, and I'll try to find a better one. The two best tips I was ever given for keeping Melanotaenia and related rainbows: stick to a relatively low-protein diet (I used to feed mine mostly nori, which you should be able to buy in your supermarket ... make sure you get the plain, rather than seasoned type though); do frequent partial water changes. Good luck.

Tony

Nice to see all the interest in rainbows. I've kept around 20 or so species through the years, and have collectd quite a few species in the wild as well. Currently I just have two, Melanotaenia duboulayi and the red form of Rhadinocentrus ornatus from Evans Head (see Rhadinocentrus ornatus - Evans Head), as well as a couple of species from the related family Pseudomugilidae. (One, Pseudomugil signifer, is very common in the creeks in my neighbourhood.) There's a lot of information out there on rainbows, including several forums devoted just to them. You can also download Adrian Tappin's excellent e-book on rainbowfish for free. I think one or other of the links given here still works: Free eBook Download: Rainbowfishes: Their Care and Keeping in Captivity by Adrian R. Tappin — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog. Let me know if they don't work, and I'll try to find a better one. The two best tips I was ever given for keeping Melanotaenia and related rainbows: stick to a relatively low-protein diet (I used to feed mine mostly nori, which you should be able to buy in your supermarket ... make sure you get the plain, rather than seasoned type though); do frequent partial water changes. Good luck.

Tony

Where are you that you can collect wild rainbowfish!? My mind=BLOWN

I live in the state of New South Wales, Australia. There are three rainbowfish species in the state: Melanotaenia fluviatilis in the Murray-Darling system, M. duboulayi (one of my favourites) in the NE part of the state, and Rhadinocentrus ornatus, also from the NE part of the state. Pacific blue-eyes (Pseudomugil signifer) are common in estuaries throughout much of NSW. I'm also a fish researcher, working on the classification and distribution of fishes. That work has taken me to other parts of northern Australia, where I have collected other rainbowfish and blue-eye species (e.g., Melanotaenia splendida splendida, M. splendida inornata, M. maccullochi, Cairnsichthys rhombosomoides, Pseudomugil gertrudae).

Tony

So, what are the non-scientic names!?? LOL

What type is designated, as Australian Rainbowfish? If any

There are no real standards in common names, particularly in the aquarium trade. There has been an attempt to standardise names within Australia, which are as follows (only based on the species I mentioned):

Cairnsichthys rhomboides - Cairns Rainbowfish
Melanotaenia duboulayi - Crimsonspotted Rainbowfish
M. fluviatilis - Murray River Rainbowfish.
M. maccullochi - McCulloch's Rainbowfish
M. splendida inornata - Chequered Rainbowfish
M. splendida splendida - East Queensland Rainbowfish
Pseudomugil gertrudae - Spotted Blue Eye
P. signifer - Pacific Blue Eye
Rhadinocentrus ornatus - Ornate Rainbowfish

Rainbowfish keepers in Australia usually keep fish from known localites, for instance you might buy a fish as "Melanotaenia trifasciata, Goyder River", rather than simply under the common name Banded Rainbowfish. Many of these forms have distinctive colorations and requirements, and not too surprisingly recent research suggests that many (if not most) actually represent distinct species. Unfortunately, many of the "Australian Rainbows" available in you aquarium stores in the US are hybrids, usually involving "forms" of M. splendida. Many of these are rather washed out in comparison with pure stock. If you are interested in getting pure stock (known species from known localities), you can get eggs or fish from people on some of the dedicated rainbowfish forum sites. There are some very helpful people on this site: Rainbowfish Forum :: Index. There is also a society dedicated to Australian and New Guinea fishes (ANGFA - Australia New Guinea Fishes Association - see ANGFA Home Page), which has branches in North America.

Tony

Awesome, thanx. I'm happy with the fish I have, pure or not, I'm not picky like that. But if I get rainbows in the future, I'll get purse through one of those guys you gave me a link to

I was wondering what everyone in here feeds their rainbow fish? At feeding time yesterday, I was watching and it seemed like the rainbows didn't really care for anything I put in there. I put in some beef heart, some tropical flake, and some cichlid pellets, only because I have a variety of fish in the tank.

I'll tell you somethin, somethin funny, and that seems made up, BUT I SWEAR TO GOD IT'S THE TRUTH!!! My Australian Rainbowfish will ONLY eat when there is direct, DIRECT SUNLIGHT hitting them. Otherwise they won't eat, unless they haven't eaten in like a week, then they'll nibble on a little bit of food. Odd little creatures they are.

I feed my Rainbowfish tropical flakes, and whenever I drop in algae wafers, they'll eat on them too. But I'm gonna get some different foods later today, since I'm getting lots of new fish.

Thanks. I hope mine aren't like that, because where my tank is gets no direct sunlight at all. Please let me know how the other foods work out.

As I mentioned before, it is important that you mainly feed lots of greens. I mostly feed mine nori, which I supplement with more protein-rich food (but only once or twice a week). Duckweed too is good. Most rainbows breed in the morning, and respond well to a morning sunlight on the tank. Not too surprising that they would feed more readily under those conditions too.

Tony

Just to follow up a little. The problem with feeding rainbows high-protein and fatty foods is that, although they appear to be thriving, they will soon develop health problems. I had difficulty keeping rainbows for more than a year or so before they would start dying off mysteriously. A change to a mainly algae and vegetable matter based diet changed things a lot. The fish looked better, were more active, and lived much longer. Frequent partial water changes also helped a lot. There's a little more on rainbowfish diet here: Keeping Rainbow fish

Tony

Tony

So, today I added:7 Rummy nose tetra, 5 leopard danios, and 4 bronze cories. And the Australian Rainbows HATE their new friends. So what now?! They attacked the new fish mercilessly for 5 minutes till I moved them to a 20 gallon tank.

Doesn't look like I'm getting my boesemanis, :( my lfs is having trouble ordering them, and I don't want to order on line because it's so darn cold out here. Maybe I'll wait until spring.

Back
Top Bottom