Anyone know about Dwarf Puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone here know anything about freshwater dwarf puffers? I recently was surfing the web when I stumbled across a link for freshwater dwarf puffers. Does anyone here have any experience with this class of fish? Looks pretty cool!

I have a tank with a few of these little guys in it. They are great if you don't mind a weekly 50% pwc. Any questions you may have fire away. I also know of a few other folks on here with experience. I love them they have such personality.

I have a tank with a few of these little guys in it. They are great if you don't mind a weekly 50% pwc. Any questions you may have fire away. I also know of a few other folks on here with experience. I love them they have such personality.
What to feed? I could care less to change out 2-3 gallons of water a week, that'll take me 15 minutes, tops. What's a good tank set up? In a while (when my dad gets over the fact that I have 2 fish tanks) I might want to get a dwarf puffer. My only concern is food. Small snails won't be easy to capture. My cousin's 55 gallon is overrun with an ugly snail infestation, I may get some from him. Is 5 gallons enough? That may be the only thing I could get! So, here is my questions:

1. What to feed, and how often?
2. What's a good tank set up? (Filter, heater, decor types, substrate, etc.)
3. Is five gallons big enough for him?

Here is my take on your questions:

1.Feed snails/live bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc...
2.No special equipment would be needed but just have good filtration and keep the tank around 80, otherwise I say use what you like.
3.5 gallons would be good for 1, IMO.

Here is my take on your questions:

1.Feed snails/live bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc...
2.No special equipment would be needed but just have good filtration and keep the tank around 80, otherwise I say use what you like.
3.5 gallons would be good for 1, IMO.
Ok. Few questions on feeding:
1. Would they actually eat frozen bloodworms?
2. What is the best staple diet?
3. How many snails a week, and how many times a week?

They like to hunt the snails I feed frozen bloodworms and they love them. 5 gallons is good for 1 I have 3 in a 10 gallon with some ghost shrimp and they are loving life. They need lots of cover and places to hide. Don't overfeed because they will just keep eating and could actually make their stomachs burst. They are messy eaters that's really the reason for the water changes.

I have 3 pea puffers/ dwarf puffers, that I feed frozen bloodworms 2 times a week, pond snails every other day, and dainichi cichlid baby sinking pellets every day! They need a lot of food, it doesn't have to be live, you can also feed brine shrimp, and any other pest snails, they don't actually need snails because they don't have a quick growing beak like many other puffers, and snails would be used to cut down on the beak or tooth! Weekly large water changes will be great, and they need hiding places in plants and decorations if you plan on keeping more than 1. I have my tank full of live plants!

From experience, they really aren't as aggressive to each other as everyone says, just aggressive to other fish!
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them!

Tip on frozen bloodworms, I put them in a shot glass of tank water for about ten minutes to thaw before I dump them in.

I have 3 pea puffers/ dwarf puffers, that I feed frozen bloodworms 2 times a week, pond snails every other day, and dainichi cichlid baby sinking pellets every day! They need a lot of food, it doesn't have to be live, you can also feed brine shrimp, and any other pest snails, they don't actually need snails because they don't have a quick growing beak like many other puffers, and snails would be used to cut down on the beak or tooth! Weekly large water changes will be great, and they need hiding places in plants and decorations if you plan on keeping more than 1. I have my tank full of live plants!

From experience, they really aren't as aggressive to each other as everyone says, just aggressive to other fish!
If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them!
Ok, awesome. Another question: I recently saw that they need no more than a 7.0 pH. Mine is 7.8! Any ideas?

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, awesome. Another question: I recently saw that they need no more than a 7.0 pH. Mine is 7.8! Any ideas?

I have never heard of anybody having problems with ph, and pea puffers. And I have never heard of that either, are you sure its for pea puffers, and not a brackish water puffer? Pea puffers are completely freshwater!

Back
Top Bottom