Anyone know about turtles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any fresh water turtles I could add to my community aquarium? I'm thinking tiny turtles, I have ADF's In one tank, I would love to put some form of turtle in the other.

Water turtles eat fish, they really should have their own setups. Most also get large especially females. They also need a basking area and the addition of UVB light to bask under. They are also very messy with a high bio-load which aren't good for fish. I strongly advise against doing this as it isn't fair to the fish or the turtle if it's specific needs aren't met.

Turtles grow big after time! And then they may eat your fish! They also need UV light to make sure they grow and thrive(red sliders, not sure about soft shell)! If you are looking for red sliders or soft shell they would need to crawl up on some land to dry off. Soft shell turtles (super cute) need soft substrate that they can burrow in, and pristine water quality. They also make quite a bit of waste, so over over filtration is a must. Both types of turtles also might eat or nip your fish! Hope this helps!

Rivercats said:
Water turtles eat fish, they really should have their own setups. Most also get large especially females. They also need a basking area and the addition of UVB light to bask under. They are also very messy with a high bio-load which aren't good for fish. I strongly advise against doing this as it isn't fair to the fish or the turtle if it's specific needs aren't met.

As Rivercats said, its not advisable. I might have not been clear

Ya that's why I'm starting to learn, how would a turtle do with a bichir? I'm thinking of getting my baby bichir his own tank til he matures and I can put him in my 75g, so I was thinking a a bichir/turtle tank.

Ya that's why I'm starting to learn, how would a turtle do with a bichir? I'm thinking of getting my baby bichir his own tank til he matures and I can put him in my 75g, so I was thinking a a bichir/turtle tank.

I'm sure a turtle will love to have birchir on the menu. Not an advisable thing to do.

Yeah actually it could. We have several water turtles with an outside 24'x24'pen with their own pond. There are several different species and the only fish we can safely put in the outside pond with them in the summer is a large common pleco. We also keep mesquito fish in there and any the turtles can catch are food. Turtles for the most part are not fish friendly. Even small fish will nip and tear at a fish larger than them if they can get close enough to do so.

Yeah actually it could. We have several water turtles with an outside 24'x24'pen with their own pond. There are several different species and the only fish we can safely put in the outside pond with them in the summer is a large common pleco. We also keep mesquito fish in there and any the turtles can catch are food. Turtles for the most part are not fish friendly. Even small fish will nip and tear at a fish larger than them if they can get close enough to do so.

Sounds cool;)

You could possibly get away with the regular African clawed frogs at adult size. I've seen it done before successfully. As stated before just be sure to provide basking area with UVB lighting. Turtles also do well with oscars in my experience. But any turtle/Oscar or turtle/ACF tank would require a pretty large setup as the bioload would be huge. Good luck!

Better not. I have 3 turtles and trust me...anything that they can reach has bite marks on it. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom