Anyone know where I can get cheap black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I love the color of my black gravel, but the color is starting to wear off it. Also, I was interested in getting some cory cats. It's a 20L gallon tank, so I'll probably need 25 lbs or so. Anyone know where I can get cheap but safe black sand?

that 20 gallons i assume?
any general lfs or chain store will have sand or substrate, or look up black play sand/ pool sand. both will work and are fairly easy to get.
what fish? :)

I had the same problem and changed to CaribSea black sand, I love it. I have a 20G high. I got a 20-25 lb bag for $15 at PetSmart. Just rinse the heck out of whatever sand you get before you put it in. I have Panda Corys and they love to sift around in the sand for extra food, it's fun to watch.

Thanks, I'll pick up some of the CaribSea next time I'm at the store. I have a GBR and 8 neon tetras, and I'm getting some corys, 5 or 6, as soon as I have the sand in the tank.

I've never once seen black pool filter sand, I dont even think they make it. They do make crayola play sand in black, but I've never looked in to it to see if it's even an option with aquariums. BigJim uses black blast blasting sand in at least one of his tanks... a much cheaper option than tahitian moon sand. FWIW, I have used TMS and hated it... way too fine.

mfdrookie516 said:
I've never once seen black pool filter sand, I dont even think they make it. They do make crayola play sand in black, but I've never looked in to it to see if it's even an option with aquariums. BigJim uses black blast blasting sand in at least one of his tanks... a much cheaper option than tahitian moon sand. FWIW, I have used TMS and hated it... way too fine.

I agree! I tried tms before pfs and it was way too fine and was easily sucked up when vacuuming (ended up clogging my pipe and had to call a plumber) I like the pfs much better when I use my python for vacuuming a little can get sucked up but not much. As far as black pfs I've never seen any or heard of any either. :)

Is there like pink sand? I know this is wierd but my mom likes pink substrate and Im trying to get her to go with sand lol

Back
Top Bottom