Anyone rescue fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious if anyone here has ever rescued fish or actively rescues fish. We've all seen people who rescue dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, horses, etc... Why not fish?

The only fish I've ever rescued was a Jack Dempsey that a friend of mine was ready to flush. Her hubby loved the fish, but she hated it and kept trying to kill it so I offered to take it off her hands. It's about 6 inches long and has seemed to do well in my 55 gal tank by itself. I've also been guilty of feeling sorry for a betta or two in their tiny cups at the LFS.

Sometimes fish show up at shelters just like any other animal. Petfinder.com has them under reptiles. I don't consider purchasing sick fish from retail to be rescuing.

I think the hard part of fish rescuing is the space it potentialy requires. You can put a doberman and a mini-poodle in the same space and they'll figure out how to get along. But an oscar and a neon... Not going to work so well.

I don't normally rescue fish, but I did take on an RTBS who was living in terrible conditions under a previous owner (who never did water changes etc.). He hasn't got the proper space yet (he's in my 10G breeder), but at least his water is clean, he is a lot perkier and he's in the hands of someone who knows how to look after fish! :)

He'll eventually be moved to a 20G tank all by himself once I've got my other tanks juggled about a bit.

I to have rescued, it over stocked my tanks......but they eventually got good homes,
my freinds dad took down his 20g because it was too much work (rolls eyes') and so I took
2 lamp eye tetra
2 adf's
3 pepper cats (all died on the way home...)
some other odd and end fishies, and they had a pleco and HUGE angel as well, but I refused to take them....I eventually took the living fish to the LFS

DepotFish said:
I don't consider purchasing sick fish from retail to be rescuing.

why not? would you consider getting a sick dog from the pound, a rescue? i would

pet supplies plus (a somewhat national chain) ordered a bunch of ghost knives, clown knives, and brown knives, and stuffed them all in the same tank.

the BGKs were the smallest, and bullied around by the larger knives. the store deeply discounted the BGKs, and i bought the smallest, most beat up one. since then, he has grown several inches, and made a full recovery. the healing rate of these fish is amazing

My take on rescuing fish from pet stores is that it really isn't doing much good. They are trying to make money, so if you buy a fish, they're going to just buy more to keep stocked. So in that way, more fish are getting "tortured". It's noble, but the pet store isn't going to let that hole you created by purchasing a fish go unfilled. If they have a habit of keeping the tanks overstocked isn't going to stop them from overstocking them in the future.

Regen, I think you're right about that. It's like buying a puppy from a pet shop to "save" it; they will use that nice puppy money to go git another puppymill dog. If no one bought the bettas in cups or pups from pet stores, they wouldn't be there.

I have also bought female bettas from the cups at a big chain store, but I knew it wasn't doing any good in the long run, and in fact doing harm. Something I know I shouldn't do, but did anyway-which is even worse than being ignorant of the problem in the first place! Ugh. :oops:

All our 13 cats, our rabbit, and our dog are rescues. My reintroduction to fishkeeping was "rescuing" a huge pleco when its owners were moving, and upgrading him to a much larger tank. It is harder to rescue fish-as justrelax said, the odds of finding rescue-able fish that will come together to make a nice friendly tankful are pretty slim. I still feel weird just buying fish....

As for overstocking the tanks at the pet store, one has to factor in the turnover rate there. The idea is that the fish will only be crowded in those tanks on a very temporary basis. I don't hold it against a store for overstocking a tank. Their filtration system is often superior than what is found in the average home aquarium and the fish in the tank probably won't be there long. Keeping the bettas in the small cups, however, is inexcusable IMHO.

Hulk and Pleco, I understand both of you completely :) When I see those bettas in the cups, it just makes me so sad. My cousin asked how long they have been in those cups, and teh guy said some have been in there a couple weeks, it just depends on if people buy them. He said they get new ones in all the time. I feel bad for the "uglier" bettas...

At a Walmart near me last week there were 2 dead bettas in their cups...one the water was yellow and he was there for awhile it looked like..the other one was covered in cotton like film and if he wasnt dead he was gonna be in a few hours...sad....really sad that they don't give a rat's a$$ about the bettas there

while buying a fish or puppy thats kept in bad condition, may lead to the store making some money, i think it's worth it. can you put a money value on an innocent life.

say you travel to an incredibly poor village in a peverty stricken 3rd world country, a bunch of children are working in sweat shops, you do
A) a adopt a kid, though by doing this, a new kid must fill in for the now adopted one
or
B) not adopt a child because it's not fair to the other children who will have to take his place

perhaps neither answer is wrong, but answer B) only helps if everyone feels the same way, and corporation loose money. as long as there is a child, and parents who dont think twice on animal care, there will always be money to feed the corrupted stores

I rescued a pleco that was taken back to the LFS when it was too big for the tank it was in (10inch in a 30gal) . I guess the LFS actually rescued the fish be getting him out of the situation but by me buying him it allowed the LFS to let another fish get rescued by giving them room in their tanks.

buying the fish is not a rescue. it is giving the fish store a profit on an unprofitable fish. Exactly opposite the law of supply and demand. if you got the LFS to give you the fish, that would be a rescue.

animals in the pound arent there for profit, and kids in a sweatshop arent for sale. apples/oranges. I'm am against out of country adoption as a general rule as there are too many domestic kids needing adoption, that might not be as cute.

There is a rescue for fish

I know this is a very old post but still wanted to comment and let everyone know that there is a fish rescue. There is actually a couple of them throughout the US. Us, Jax Fish Rescue being one of them, also Moster Fish Rescue is another. We take them in for any reason that the owners may no longer want them and get the adopted out to new homes.

Back
Top Bottom