Anyone seen this before???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jCurve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Background.....

I'm only 4 days in to cycling my new 75 gal tank. She's still a little cloudy but hopefully that will clear up soon. I went with a Fluval 305 canister for filtration but that's only been in since yesterday. The tank is sitting at a temp of about 82f/28c as I need to cater for the Discus that will be in there. PH is at 6.5 steady not really getting ammonia spikes yet as I'm only 4 days in but I've put some fish food in to start the cycle and also I have used some of my old media. The tank isn't completely dressed at the moment but it is planted and it does have a piece of wood in there from an old tank. The green coloring is stain from Multi-cure which was used ages ago.

ANYWAY.... my question is about a strange film that appears to be growing on my timber (see photo) that looks like clear mucosa or fine membrane. I haven't come across this before. In some areas it has formed little translucent domes. At first I thought they might be jelly like in substance but when touched they just come away like an extremely fine web/membrane. The obvious thing to do would be to remove and rinse the timber. But it would be good to identify the substance in case it's harmful to the fish and obviously before I put any in the tank.

So... Anyideas? Fungus? Mold? Bacteria?

Cheers

J

Attachments

• image-1309378692.jpg
    image-1309378692.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image-1111394618.jpg
    image-1111394618.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 120
Just in case it helps here's a wider shot of the tank in question. Don't know why duplicate pics posted on that last post.

J

Attachments

• image-2407185876.jpg
    image-2407185876.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 113
Thanks.

I think I'll leave it. It'd all fall off in the process of getting the wood out any way and I'd have a wet arm for no good reason.

J

Yep normal, unsightly but it'll go away eventally. In the meantime you can try to wipe it off. Are you fishless cycling the tank? If so youll want to use something like pure ammonia or raw shrimp to get the ammonia levels up; fish food won't cause much ammonia (not to mention make a mess) and your bacteria might start to die off.

Are you fishless cycling the tank? If so youll want to use something like pure ammonia or raw shrimp to get the ammonia levels up; fish food won't cause much ammonia (not to mention make a mess) and your bacteria might start to die off.

Thanks,

Yes fishless cycling so I'll get that happening. I asked about that at the place where I picked up the tank and they said it shouldn't be necessary, advice I was a little dubious about given the size of the tank.

J

Back
Top Bottom