Anyone subscribe to Practical Fish Keeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Thinking about getting their magazines. I'm not what you'd say the richest (I keep blowing my allowance on other fish supplies) so I need to choose wisely.

I am planning to breed my livebearers and ram cichlids once I get a bigger tank. Does the magazine leave tips and such as well?

There aren't a lot of fish people I can talk to besides my dad so I usually result to jumping on the computer and finding cool facts about fish and talking with people about fish online but I want to give my eyes a break from the screen at the same time I want more knowledge on fish (I already read all my fish books haha)

I get it, although it is expensive, I thoroughly enjoy it. It amazes me that every once in a while they'll highlight a fish from the US that we have no interest in keeping. Most of the info in the magazine you can find online if you dig hard enough, but I like my info the old fashioned way. Also they do show some different ways of doing things than we do in the US, like the Hamburger Mattenfilter, and to see different products from around the world.

jefferzbooboo said:
I get it, although it is expensive, I thoroughly enjoy it. It amazes me that every once in a while they'll highlight a fish from the US that we have no interest in keeping. Most of the info in the magazine you can find online if you dig hard enough, but I like my info the old fashioned way. Also they do show some different ways of doing things than we do in the US, like the Hamburger Mattenfilter, and to see different products from around the world.

Would you recommend I get it?

I have had a few of them and there good but my only crit is that they LOVE the Latin names and while they can be handy it makes for hard reading when you struggle the pronounce every other word :s

I get it every month and have done for 2 years. I love it learn something new every month. Plenty of info for everyone no matter what you choose to keep tropical, SW or cold water and even pond fish. IMO money well spent. ;-)

Ok it's decided I'm getting it sometime in the near future

Bobjoefredsky said:
Ok it's decided I'm getting it sometime in the near future

You won't regret it, it's well worth the money. And if your going to subscribe wait till they have an offer on the first 500 people get a free gift sometimes worth up to £100

Guinness said:
You won't regret it, it's well worth the money. And if your going to subscribe wait till they have an offer on the first 500 people get a free gift sometimes worth up to £100

Sounds like a plan !

I think it's a great mag, but for the price, I pass each time.

If I lived in the UK, with the lower price and free aquariums and stuff, totally worth it.

For less than one subscription to PFK, you could get subscriptions to Tropical Fish Hobbyist AND Amazonas, AND have 20+ bucks left over for fish or a bunch of great used aquarium books off Amazon and Ebay. In my opinion, a much better deal each year.

Back
Top Bottom