Anyone use Seachem buffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone here use Seachem Alkaline or Acid buffer? If so, do you dissolve it in tank water in a cup before adding to aquarium, or put it straight into aquarium?

I really find them to be more bad than good.
Example. You say add a buffer well it uses a phosphate buffer therefore it adds a ton of phosphorus. Generally bad when talking the levels it adds especially a planted aquarium.

Say you use the acid buffer which lowers the ph and happens to lower ph. Seems good right? Nope. So while it may bring down your ph for a day or three? At the same time it raised your tds(tested) and then after three days or so it starts going back to the previous level. So then after a bit it's back up so you decide to add more right? So you do but then you just raised your tds again. By the end of the week it's back up and not only that your tds is much higher forcing you to do a large water change just to be back to previous levels and square one.

If you are so inclined to use the products yes it's recommended to pre treat in some water before adding.

Ok well funny you mention about the PH always going back up ... mines does! I'm beginning to think these buffers were a waste of money and time. I've never had the reading that its supposed to be, and I dose exactly using the calculator and an electronic weighing spoon. Example I always dose for a PH of 7.0 and its always at 7.6.

I would like to just stop using it but that leaves me with a problem - my tap water has no KH, which as we know leads to PH fluctuations.

Do you have any advice on what I could use to increase my KH other than the buffers? I've tried baking soda but that raises my PH to more than I'd like.

P.S. what is TDS ?

Total dissolved solids. It's everything that is extra in water other than water. For example gh and kh add to tds. Ferts add to tds. And buffers add to tds.

You could always use a buffering substrate which would keep the ph from fluctuating. Never heard of someone having no kh in water. Not saying it isn't possible. Just odd. I actually use to water to cut my kh in half.

My tap water is very soft. Coming from the tap the PH is 7.2 and GH 3. I say my KH is zero but it might be 1. When using the API liquid test the water in the tube is never blue after adding first drop. Just yellow.

I did a test with my tap water in a bucket over 24 hours with an air stone. PH had dropped to 6.5.

I have a bag of crushed coral, do you think I could add some of that to my sand substrate? Of course I would do a 50% water change before adding and not add any buffers...

Skip the buffers and add the ceushed coral into your filter. It should set things right for you.

My tap water is very soft. Coming from the tap the PH is 7.2 and GH 3. I say my KH is zero but it might be 1. When using the API liquid test the water in the tube is never blue after adding first drop. Just yellow.

I did a test with my tap water in a bucket over 24 hours with an air stone. PH had dropped to 6.5.

I have a bag of crushed coral, do you think I could add some of that to my sand substrate? Of course I would do a 50% water change before adding and not add any buffers...

Yes use the crushed coral. Here is what you do so you can get a more accurate kh test.

Instead of using 5ml test tube water use 20. Then each drop equals one kh. So for example 2 drops would equal .5. Three drops would equal .75. This is what I do for gh and kh to get more accurate results. And yes use the crushed corals. Forget the buffers.

Yes use the crushed coral. Here is what you do so you can get a more accurate kh test.

Instead of using 5ml test tube water use 20. Then each drop equals one kh. So for example 2 drops would equal .5. Three drops would equal .75. This is what I do for gh and kh to get more accurate results. And yes use the crushed corals. Forget the buffers.

Do you mean use 20ml instead of 5ml?

The thing about crushed coral is its slow in raising the KH. Also you can't really determine what the PH will be with it. Another concern about using crushed coral is how would I do my weekly water changes?

E.g. Lets say the tank water KH is 4 due to the crushed coral, but the new water I add the KH will be 0-1. Result being when adding new water the KH and PH in the tank will be decreased, until the crushed coral raises it again which could be days...

Do you mean use 20ml instead of 5ml?

The thing about crushed coral is its slow in raising the KH. Also you can't really determine what the PH will be with it. Another concern about using crushed coral is how would I do my weekly water changes?

E.g. Lets say the tank water KH is 4 due to the crushed coral, but the new water I add the KH will be 0-1. Result being when adding new water the KH and PH in the tank will be decreased, until the crushed coral raises it again which could be days...

Yes meant 20ml. You could always use crushed coral in a hob that is filtering the new water. This way it would be closer to the water in the tank. I pre treat my water like a week ahead for my CRS. Granted I don't need crushed coral but I use half tap and half ro with a powerhead circulating the water all week.

What is a hob? Sorry but I'm a newbie in fish keeping and still learning.

I've been reading stuff online and it seems baking soda is used to sort the KH as well. 1 teaspoon per 30 gallons they say will raise KH by 2 degrees, and PH by .4 ... and it's instant.

I'll need to do something that's for sure, bacause these buffers ain't working. Would I rinse crushed coral before putting it in filter or straight from the bag? I would imagine rinsing it will remove the powdery stuff thar you actually want to raise the KH?

I use RO/DI water in 2 of my tanks. Local water is pretty bad. I add Seachem Equilibrium and KH to get it up to what they recommend. I also have coral/aragonite in my canister. I know the additives wear off. But I am trying to add water to my tank about the same as what is in the tank. To keep from shocking the critters. Then the coral/aragonite keeps things from dropping too fast. If my TDS starts to climb I decrease the recommended amount by 50% with my new big water change.

Back
Top Bottom