Anyone use seachems phosguard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ive been having diatoms growing in patches over tank, after a few months of setting it up. I do 15% to 20% water change weekly. My tank is currently really understocked. (1 baby cichlid around an inch big in 27g tank, all alone)
I have read that silicates and phophates in tap water can cause diatoms so I purchased seachems phosguard to see what happens. Anyone use this before? Anything I should know about it? I just put it in filter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The phosguard won't really help with diatoms. It's just something your tank has to age out of. I do use it for my salt water tank however and it works nicely. It probably won't last a terribly long time in a freshwater tank since they usually run pretty high on phosphates.

Thank u for the reply. Should I just take it out then since it wont do much...
I have heard some alarming things about phosguard and aluminium traces and toxicity etc etc.. not sure how true they are.

Also, how long does the diatoms phase last? My tank started cycling early august. And fish went in about 7 weeks after cycling.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom