Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

Anyway to remove surface protien without a skimmer >?

Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?

Old 04-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?
Drop a bunch of paper towels flat on the surface of the tank, that's worked well enough for me in the past.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

move the spray bars so they are spraying across the surface of the water and literally breaking up the surface tension and keeping that residue in suspension so the filters can pick it up.
you need to really break up the water surface, even putting the spray bars above the water surface if needed.

what an airstone will do if the surface isn't vigorously agitated is it will merely push all the oil to the sides and the only spot clear will be where the column of bubbles is rising.
You really need to agitate the surface to the point of splashing to really get rid of it and keep it from forming.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

ahh ok ill try that thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #5

Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2
Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2
then if it's not too big of a hassle, put them under the water at night and higher during the day.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=27119

It's a surface skimmer but it's small, cheap, and highly effective. Two of them placed on each side of my 150 kept the surface crystal clear.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
then if it's not too big of a hassle, put them under the water at night and higher during the day.

Yea that's what I was thinking..
Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
Eheim Skim350 Surface Skimmer: Aquarium Skimmer Filter

It's a surface skimmer but it's small, cheap, and highly effective. Two of them placed on each side of my 150 kept the surface crystal clear.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the link that is cheap

Tags
move, rot, skimmer, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com