Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 788
Anyway to remove surface protien without a skimmer >?

Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?
__________________

__________________
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
sinibotia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 3,909
Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?
Drop a bunch of paper towels flat on the surface of the tank, that's worked well enough for me in the past.
__________________

__________________
No tanks but my MTS is relapsing rapidly...
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
move the spray bars so they are spraying across the surface of the water and literally breaking up the surface tension and keeping that residue in suspension so the filters can pick it up.
you need to really break up the water surface, even putting the spray bars above the water surface if needed.


what an airstone will do if the surface isn't vigorously agitated is it will merely push all the oil to the sides and the only spot clear will be where the column of bubbles is rising.
You really need to agitate the surface to the point of splashing to really get rid of it and keep it from forming.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 788
ahh ok ill try that thanks.
__________________
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 788
Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2
__________________
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymancan View Post
Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2
then if it's not too big of a hassle, put them under the water at night and higher during the day.
__________________
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NigelK8485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,431
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=27119


It's a surface skimmer but it's small, cheap, and highly effective. Two of them placed on each side of my 150 kept the surface crystal clear.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
NigelK8485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
then if it's not too big of a hassle, put them under the water at night and higher during the day.


Yea that's what I was thinking..
__________________
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK8485 View Post
Eheim Skim350 Surface Skimmer: Aquarium Skimmer Filter


It's a surface skimmer but it's small, cheap, and highly effective. Two of them placed on each side of my 150 kept the surface crystal clear.


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the link that is cheap
__________________

__________________
candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
move, rot, skimmer, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to remove my UGF without hurting my plants and fish ? candymancan Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 18 09-29-2013 06:51 PM
How to remove pond snails without hurting Mystery snails. micaiah12 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 0 02-28-2012 01:35 PM
Seaclone 100 protien skimmer vs jebo 180 protien skimmer mattt6511 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 11-01-2005 05:10 PM
Do I still need surface agitation with Protien Skimmer clr_newbie Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 12-18-2004 11:08 AM
Protien Skimmer.....With or Without? Phamboo Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 3 08-20-2003 08:02 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×