Anyway to remove surface protien without a skimmer >?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?

Since I feed my discus beefheart and bloodworms, and I feed my other fish Tetra Min flakes.. The surface on my 92g constantly has an oily film on it.. I don't use an air stone, but my 2 spray bars are pointed up more to give surface agitation for o2. But I hate looking at the this oily surface.. Is there anyway to get rid of it besides water changes and a protein skimmer ? Would an airstone actually do it ?

Drop a bunch of paper towels flat on the surface of the tank, that's worked well enough for me in the past.

move the spray bars so they are spraying across the surface of the water and literally breaking up the surface tension and keeping that residue in suspension so the filters can pick it up.
you need to really break up the water surface, even putting the spray bars above the water surface if needed.

what an airstone will do if the surface isn't vigorously agitated is it will merely push all the oil to the sides and the only spot clear will be where the column of bubbles is rising.
You really need to agitate the surface to the point of splashing to really get rid of it and keep it from forming.

Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2

Ok that cleared it up, the top is much better looking.. only problem though the water trickling noise is annoying. So I might try and long airstone bar and air pump and see if that works.. The 92g tank is in my bedroom.. I don't mind the noise in the day but the water trickling might be annoying when im sleeping. But it deff fixed the protein layer.. and it seems to be putting a lot of micro bubbles in the water too, im sure this is deff helping with O2

then if it's not too big of a hassle, put them under the water at night and higher during the day.

Back
Top Bottom