API freshwater master kit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi there, for those of you who use this test kit, when I check for nitrates, you have to shake vigirously for 1 min after adding the #2 solution, I find my caps dont seal and when im done shaking I sometimes only have half the amount of fluid left in there that im suppose to have... is this a common problem, do I shake less vigirous? does it alter the results do you think?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

so its ok then that its half empty/full?? you dont think that'll effect the results? I do hold a paper towel over it or I goes everywhere....

I think it can / will effect results. The best thing to do is stick your hand into the shower stall so it doesn't splash all over the walls and keep as firm of a grip on the top as possible. I use thumb on bottom, middle finger on top.

I just use the towel method cause the wife yells at me for blue and orange spray all over the shower, lol.

LOL ok, I just did it on another tank and was more carefull to hold tight and wrapped in papertowel and didnt loose near as much. Thanks... I think the problem could be fixed if they had better lids....

To ECO :). I use the same method, a paper towel and a slightly tighter grip. I have an extra p towel for any splash and I don't lose that much. I still have very close to 5 mls for the read. My results have been consistent, unless we make our own test tubes.

Worse than the caps, I hate how some of the solutions are a faster liquid than others, and come out so fast you're trying to figure out how many drops you just put in. The pH and the ammonia #2 are the worst offenders.

Tasha said:
LOL ok, I just did it on another tank and was more carefull to hold tight and wrapped in papertowel and didnt loose near as much. Thanks... I think the problem could be fixed if they had better lids....

Maybe I'm wrong, but I do remember that you need to shake vigorously the solution #2 before you added to the tube, then you need to shake up / down but not vigorously ..... But I do agree that even shaking moderately the paper towel helps a lot.

ejaramillo01 said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I do remember that you need to shake vigorously the solution #2 before you added to the tube, then you need to shake up / down but not vigorously ..... But I do agree that even shaking moderately the paper towel helps a lot.

You need to shake the 2nd nitrate bottle vigorously for 30 seconds and the the tube after adding pretty good too for a minute. I loose fluid too but not enough to effect my results. I just grip very tightly lol

eco23 said:
Worse than the caps, I hate how some of the solutions are a faster liquid than others, and come out so fast you're trying to figure out how many drops you just put in. The pH and the ammonia #2 are the worst offenders.

Ya, that ticks me off. I'll be testing, and I'll blink, and on some tests, the drop is still coming out, but on others, it's like, "what'd I miss?"

Homedog98 said:
Ya, that ticks me off. I'll be testing, and I'll blink, and on some tests, the drop is still coming out, but on others, it's like, "what'd I miss?"

I know, the nitrIte bottle you've really gotta squeeze and its like 1.....2.....3....., then you go to test pH and it's 123456789! Lol.

off hand I dont remember exactly which way it is, I always have the instructions layed out in front of me when I do it, LOL. If I make sure to hold the cap tight it helped.

I know, the nitrIte bottle you've really gotta squeeze and its like 1.....2.....3....., then you go to test pH and it's 123456789! Lol.

LOL, I do find what helps this is after shaking the bottle (I always shake them first) I slowly turn them upside down this helps the drops to come out slower. :)

Back
Top Bottom