API freshwater master test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne487

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a question or two about these. I bought one when I first really got into the hobby a couple of months ago and Ive spent a lot of time on the forums here in the past week and was wondering what is the right levels for a tank to be at? And sometimes I find it hard to tell which it is for example I think that trites 0.50 and 1 look very similar and hard to distinguish between same goes for trates 5.0 and 10.0 are so similar. And sometimes the test results doesn't appear to be any of them on the card :-S

Any tips on how to read them accurately?

I have a question or two about these. I bought one when I first really got into the hobby a couple of months ago and Ive spent a lot of time on the forums here in the past week and was wondering what is the right levels for a tank to be at? And sometimes I find it hard to tell which it is for example I think that trites 0.50 and 1 look very similar and hard to distinguish between same goes for trates 5.0 and 10.0 are so similar. And sometimes the test results doesn't appear to be any of them on the card :-S

Any tips on how to read them accurately?

All I know is the correct levels for a cycled tank should be: ammonia: 0ppm nitrite: 0ppm nitrate: 5-20ppm. If you aren't sure on the parameters, just post on here for other people's opinions :) if you parameters are higher than the ones I posted, I advise you do 40% water change

Samzter is correct just remember to shake the trate bottles very well specialy number 2

Also this is the reading from my breeder tank 20L (the water was taken from a mixture of tanks ranging from 8weeks to 4weeks about a 3rd from each with 50% WC every 10 days) also the sponge filter had been running for 2 weeks in another established tank before switching. I have 3 female guppies and 24 fry in a hang on external breeder box that has an air pump pushing water up and into the breeder box. Last time I tested my water in their tank a week ago ph 8.2 ammo 0 trites 0 trates 0 the tank started at 7.4 ph and has slowly increased over the 4 weeks it has been running, any idea why PH increased but no signs of any ammo or trates?

Attachments

• image-2585217071.jpg
    image-2585217071.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 53
Personally I don't think using water from another tank will help you cycle. The bacteria lives on the surface of whatever is inside your aquarium.

Personally I don't think using water from another tank will help you cycle. The bacteria lives on the surface of whatever is inside your aquarium.

I was told using water from another established tank would help and like I said I did have the filter in another tank for around 2 weeks before I moved it

Yeah I have a filter (not sure on what the make is) and half full due to regular water changes and easier to spot any more fry

Okay so since its half full then you have 3 guppy and 24 fry in 2.5g of water. You need to add more water and then, go and buy a bigger tank. 2.5g isnt enough let alone 5g. I recommend 2 10g tanks. 1 for adults and 1 for fry

Okay so since its half full then you have 3 guppy and 24 fry in 2.5g of water. You need to add more water and then, go and buy a bigger tank. 2.5g isnt enough let alone 5g. I recommend 2 10g tanks. 1 for adults and 1 for fry

Right ok well ill have to save up or try and find some second hand ones locally

Back
Top Bottom