API Master Test Kit - leaky vials ;/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm sure everyone has these, the leaky vials from the API kit. When you have to "vigorously shake" it, it usually loses a little bit of water / chemicals from inside. Any easy solutions?

I wouldn't mind but, I'm worried about the corrosive / irritation from the chems.

just wash your hands after. it's not so strong that it'll do damage in the time it would be in contact with your skin

You could get some disposable nitrile rubber gloves, but yeah I've always done testing near the sink and just wash my hands if one leaks. Some of the caps on mine were tighter than others.

Makes sense, that's what I typically do. But man... it's just an annoyance.

Most of my original ones leaked, so I went to a local shop and asked if they had any extras. They gave me six.

All of the indicators are very mild. Just make sure to wash your hands before and after. Try to not aim at the face, that does burn a little (personal experience, haha). Gloves are always an option, but unless you are super sensitive, I would say you will be completely fine.

I hear ya on this one.

I haven't tried any of these besides washing em over and over and with the tops I have a dedicated soft cloth that is used to hold the top when I shake and I tip test tube back and forth.
Still gets on cloth and my hands most of the time lol. My wife smells the chemicals 30 feet away when I test em too and gives me the scrunched up face and tells me 'you smell like a chemistry experiment'

But unfort. IMO, API test kits are the best and most accurate for the money.

I don't know if these would work but they are suggestions so please do with em what you want but please these are alternatives and ideas I have thought of nothing that is factual just my thoughts on what to do to help make em a little easier to use hopefully and maybe:

1: Buying better test tubes, just make sure they have 5ml line on em.

2: Maybe try that product API has for aquarium cleaning I think its called 'easy and safe aquarium cleaner' and it is suppose to be safe for any part of your aquarium. Idk if this is truly accurate, I just remb seeing it at LFS and glancing at bottle not really looking to see ingredients. I have never used this so don't know if it will work. Maybe someone else will post with results of using this stuff? Like I said be CAREFUL. If you are gonna use this do more research first on it I'm no expert just a suggestion.

3. Maybe switch to a different brand for testing that have better tubes and fits more of your style.

And IMO please don't go the easy ineffective way and use test strips. hot garbage.

Hope this helps in some regard.

Also I think u r suppose to use tap water to clean and rinse right or does anybody use treated or aquarium water from a water change? So is suggestion two not effective then?

one of my vials leaks and i just rap my whole hand around the vial and squeeze hard when I have to shake the Nitrite mix, it doesnt leak as long as i have a tight grip on it, works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom