API nitrate test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone else have problems with the API nitrate test from the master test kit? My nitrate test always seems to be either 40ppm or 80ppm. Yes, I do bang the 2nd bottle well, give it a good shake. I ran a separate test using a Tetra liquid test and it seemed to show around 25ppm. Now I know that a lot of people agree API is one of the better test kits but I'm having this annoyance. I also tested my tap water and had the same readings. A thoughts on this or alternative tests for nitrates would be great. I the mean time I'm hoping my new water wisteria grows quickly and starts sucking some of that nitrate up.

Okay well that might just be you're tap water because if it is truly between that, it could be a bad sign. I would suggest trying out the nutrafin test kits, and comparing.
Another thing, did you check the ''expiration date'' or something similar?
It might be that. Also, it might be a default from both test kits, so getting another to test, like strips or another alternative would be good at resolving the problem.

Yep both tests are also well in date. Really hoping that the API is wrong as RO is not really an option for me.

Does anyone else have problems with the API nitrate test from the master test kit? My nitrate test always seems to be either 40ppm or 80ppm. Yes, I do bang the 2nd bottle well, give it a good shake. I ran a separate test using a Tetra liquid test and it seemed to show around 25ppm. Now I know that a lot of people agree API is one of the better test kits but I'm having this annoyance. I also tested my tap water and had the same readings. A thoughts on this or alternative tests for nitrates would be great. I the mean time I'm hoping my new water wisteria grows quickly and starts sucking some of that nitrate up.

An easy way to test the kit is to test for nitrates before a WC, probably getting the 40 or 80ppm reading you have been doing, then do a 50% water change and test again. If the test shows close to a 50% drop in nitrate levels then its fairly safe to assume that your test kit is good. Also, when you are taking the reading how are you holding the tube? Is it against the white background of the example colors, not against it, is it in direct light and is the light above, behind, or in front of you? All these factors influence how we perceive what color the test water is.

Then I would highly suggest going through a few more times. Another alternative would be testing on bottled water. Check the Analasys per PPM on the side of the bottle beside the nutritional value. It should show the ammount of NO3(Nitrate). Test the water and see if the results match. That could really help solve the problem of inaccuracy or default.

I see what you mean about the water change and testing but as my tap water is reading the same as my tank water (or so similar that I cannot differentiate) this wouldn't work. The red colour for 40 and 80 is too similar on the API test. I hold the test tube to the white background so will try again holding it away from it and see whether it is clearer. Thanks for your help. Any more thoughts?

Good idea...I need to grab some things from the corner shop so a bottle of water will go on the list too!

Ok so quick update. Ran a test on aquarium water and held the tube away slightly from the colour chart. Looks more orange red that red red so am guessing that it is closer to 40 than 80ppm. Have just ran a second test using bottled water with a stated NO3 level of 3.7ppm and the test came up at around 5ppm, perhaps slightly more. I'm a bit more relieved now that it looks like the nitrate are closer to 40 and will just continue running double tests on nitrates. As my tap water is so high I guess there's not much more I can do short of using RO for water changes which is not practical or affordable for me right now. Hopefully the new planting will help to soak up some of the nitrates.

You might do it but just checking...Do you shake the **test tube for 1 min** after putting in the #2 drops?

Mine does this EXACT same thing drives me crazy. I drive to my friends house every week for water because mine isnt any good :( its a nightmare.....

Java Moss is great at soaking up nitrates. I've never tested my tap for it but in my tank I get a reading of about .5 ppm.

And I also shake both bottles lol

It's annoying that our tap water is so crap. Ad yea I have had java moss in the past but get fed up with the stuff never staying attached as it should. Am always jealous of people who grow this and it always looks so amazing!

It's annoying that our tap water is so crap. Ad yea I have had java moss in the past but get fed up with the stuff never staying attached as it should. Am always jealous of people who grow this and it always looks so amazing!

SUPER annoying. Yesterday I hauled 25gallons from my friemds house. Not alot in retrospect but I only weigh 89lbs so thats a ton to carry.

SUPER annoying. Yesterday I hauled 25gallons from my friemds house. Not alot in retrospect but I only weigh 89lbs so thats a ton to carry.

Lol aww 89lbs thats cute.. Yeah 25 gallons of water? In one go? Or you mean a 25 gallon tank?

Lol no like 25 one gallon jugs. Fill them put them in the car bring them in the house and then into the fish tank. Its ridiculous

You do this all the time when you do PWC, Miyavp? Do both (I know matty does) of you have high nitrate in your water or something else?

Lol no like 25 one gallon jugs. Fill them put them in the car bring them in the house and then into the fish tank. Its ridiculous

25 gallon jugs? Do you mean 25litres? Still heavy. But 25 gallons would be more than difficult even for me and im 6"3 220lbs of English beef.

25 gallons is actually 95kg give or take and 95kg is almost as heavy as me, 210lbs

Back
Top Bottom