API Nitrate Test Q w/ picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swissgoalie35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an API test kit but misplaced the compare card and I just finished doing a Nitrate test on a 46 gallon tank. I was able to read the other tests by comparing to an image online but I am having a problem with the Nitrate. It appears to be yellow but top as a hit of orange. I searched online but could not find a good answer. I will attach a picture. The images on the left side are without the iphone flash and the images on the right are with the Flash ON.

I ran the test twice at the same time to see how the results would vary given water loss from shaking and they are very similar.

Please let me know if it is safe or not, Thanks!!!

The fish are not showing any signs of stress and tank has been running for several months no problems just curious to how to read this test

That is what I assumed, I just never either noticed the orange top before or thought anything of it. Wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Can I ask what the other readings were? I read that as 0 which is unusual for a cycled tank.

I just re ran others now I have every test but ammonia I forgot it at my friends over the weekend, But it hasnt shown high ammonia levels in a few months. I jump cyled the tank with 5 gallons of water and live plants from another friends established tank back then. Ill post a pic in a min

Top = no flash
Lower = Flash On

The tank has 2 filters one is the aqueon one that came with it and then it has a 10 gallon filter with bio bags inside it

image-80013916.jpg

Top = no flash
Lower = Flash On

The tank has 2 filters one is the aqueon one that came with it and then it has a 10 gallon filter with bio bags inside it

Your ph is low so you don't need to do the high range test.
I find using the flash changes the colours somewhat. I use my phone to take pics, and choose a setting that shows the colours the way they really are, so the settings change depending on the ambient light.

Save this pic and use it as a reference. It shows the colors fairly well so shouldn't be too hard to compare. Just view the vials against a white background and it should give you a good idea.

61i6ANpTLAL.jpg

Save this pic and use it as a reference. It shows the colors fairly well so shouldn't be too hard to compare. Just view the vials against a white background and it should give you a good idea.

Or use these....

Attachments

• image-1664716532.jpg
    image-1664716532.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 57
  • image-2333418202.jpg
    image-2333418202.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 46
  • image-2592255096.jpg
    image-2592255096.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 41
Your nitrate test looks very odd to me. Did you do it correctly? Make sure to shake both bottles well, banging them against palm of your hand. 10 drops of bottle #1, cap it, shake the tube back & forth, add 10drops do bottle #2, cap it & shake then let sit for 5 minutes. Sorry if you did it like this just want to make sure, I've never seen the test separate like that. Had it been sitting for a while or was that immediately after 5 minutes?

Please see attached! Thank you!

To me they definitely look above zero, with my test kit I have to cover tubes with caps and shake well after drops from first nitrate bottle, let it sit for like 30 sec or something and then drop the other ones in. Both bottles have to be shaken really well before using. I read somewhere that not stirring it up enough can mess things up. If you have your ammonia and nitrites at zero and positive nitrate readings, you are ok. There is sooooo much more to this water chemistry tho.... I'm just beginning my own journey. Good luck with yours:)

Back
Top Bottom