Api proper ph 6.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
My caps lockis broken

hi guys i put some api proper ph 6.5 in my tank earlia today and it has made my tank cloudy is this normal when useing this ? How long will it take to clear ?

Thanks

Just curious... Why are you trying to change your pH? Sorry, I don't know about the cloudiness.

Just curious... Why are you trying to change your pH? Sorry, I don't know about the cloudiness.

Same question here! For my angelfish, I wanted a pH of 6.8 for them, but when I first started my tank I had a pH of 8. It was stable, which having a stable pH is much better than trying to get one number. Although, I added driftwood, peat, and CO2 in my tank (all natural ways to lower pH) and now my tanks sits at a stable 6.8 pH. Before I tried the natural methods, I used API's pH UP, pH DOWN, proper 6.5, etc. etc. and none actually worked...my tanks didn't cloud either though! Hmmm...

i need to use it in my discus tank. my ph straight out the tap is 8.7 so i wanted to lower it to around 6.5 as i have a breeding pair. i put some in and after a couple hours the tank went cloudy and my water has never been cloudy.

If you are serious about it then you need to stay away from the chemical adjustment products. They will introduce serious instability. You need to look into mixing your tap water with quality RO or use straight RO and remineralize and adjust. Good luck.

...Although, I added driftwood, peat, and CO2 in my tank (all natural ways to lower pH) and now my tanks sits at a stable 6.8 pH....

Right on. in order to achieve an acidic pH in your tank you need to accomplish 2 things.

First, you need to use up all available alkaline buffer (KH) in your tank.
Second, you need to have a constant source of acids in the water.

First you need to measure your KH and know where you are starting from. If you have a pH of 8.7, it is likely your KH is extremely high.

With a lower KH, you will need a lower level of organic acids sourced into your tank. Depending on the volume of your tank will be more cost effective.

First, you can start with pure RO water, re-constitute with a natural alkaline buffer like, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), crushed coral (calcium carbonate), or seachem's alkaline buffer (blend of bicarbonate salts) all are natural ways to increase your KH from 0 to a target level (2-4). Using baking soda or the seachem product will allow for a more precise measurement.

If starting with 100% RO, you will also need to increase your GH to a level at least equal to your KH. Crushed coral will add to your GH (calcium), you can also add other mineral blends such as Kent RO right, Seachem Equilibrium, Seachem Cichlid Lake Salts. All are natural mineral additives that will increase your GH to a desired level.

If you know the GH & KH of your tap, it is also possible to do a certain percentage of RO water to tap water to achieve desired parameters. In my opinion this is not as easy as re-constituting pure water with minerals.

If your tank is already filled, you can use seachem alkaline buffer to convert KH to CO2. This will lower the KH for you and once your KH is achieved you don't need to use it any more. Seachem Acid buffer is made of bisulfate salts, which is a weak acid compound. I've used it and it worked well for me.

The second step is to have a constant source of acid to keep your pH down. driftwood, peat, & CO2 work.

ok thank guys to be honest ive only had trouble with chemicals the ph up and down doesnt work. and the proper ph does but makes your water cloudy . so ill try some of the stuff you suggested

Back
Top Bottom