Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't use charcoal with plants, if anything use purigen, charcoal has be studied and does take nutrients out of the tank your plants need, purigen doesn't and is reusable (bleach dip, wouldn't know how though as I use nothing), as far as cloudiness as mentored you could of disturbed a pocket that was trapped under the sand. I believe sand needs to be disturbed every week so that it doesn't build up pockets not 100% sure though.

Holy mackerel that's a very high amount of ammonia, your tank is going through a cycle, what water conditioner do you use? Do a 20% water change do not touch the filters just straight water and treat the new water with PRIME, check water a couple hours later for ammonia. Check everything ammonia,nitrite, nitrate, pH.

Sorry for the loss of the loach but for future reference you should never have to do more than 30% weekly or bi weekly, filters should be cleaned about once a month depending on your bio load and only cleaned in fish water taken from the tank NEVER from the tap, also don't let media dry out, on an aquaclear 50 the ceramics are smaller (don't take them out) but honestly I would get a second aquaclear 50 and run 2 filters but on the second filter run biomax, I repeat as this is important so Not take the other media out of the current aquaclear 50.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay so I get that it's going through a cycle but what I don't quite have figured out is why the cycle started. I'm going to get some prime tonight and if they also have purigen I'll grab that too. It's petsmart though, so if it's not there I'll go to my more reliable/preferred, albeit further, big al's.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carbon is really non essential except to remove meds after treatment, removing the carbon wouldn't of caused the tank to cycle, there's many things that can cause it to cycle, the more common ones are tap water changes as your tap water never stays the same really, another thing is no conditioner for the new water you put back into the tank, also filter cleaning in water that's not from the tank you removed it from.. example: if you took the media out and ran it under tap water you just washed all your beneficial bacteria off and or killed it which is what keeps the tank in balance, another thing is if you let the media dry out, I always put my media in fish water when doing a partial water change so it keeps it wet and the same temp as temp will also kill beneficial bacteria so I've heard not 100% on that, and sand as I've read further into it should only be stirred if plantless as if you stir it and disturb the anaerobic layer you can release hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell) that could kill everything in the tank.

I do not run carbon or purigen or anything in my tank and my water is crystal clear, but my filters are also modified with filter floss

The last pic is after I rearranged everything and took out the fake plant, it's actually a blurry pic grrr didn't realize it lol

Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just out of curiosity, what is the amount of charcoal vs other media? Because if there was more charcoal than ceramics or sponge it may have had more bacteria than the others, and that could crash the tank, especially with swapping all the substrate too.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the amount of charcoal vs other media? Because if there was more charcoal than ceramics or sponge it may have had more bacteria than the others, and that could crash the tank, especially with swapping all the substrate too.

1/3 charcoal, 1/3 biomax, 1/3 sponge. I removed the charcoal this morning.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I've just gotten home form work and the first thing I did was test it for ammonia. Good news is that it's decreased to .50 ppm after the water change this morning. Bad news is that I still have ammonia at .50 ppm...

I was able to pick up prime before getting home and have dosed the tank. I'll test it again in the morning.

The fish seem to be as active as they usually have been and the cloudiness has decreased substantially. I take that as a positive sign. I can only see two of my remaining loaches, so I'm hoping the third is just hiding somewhere and isn't *ahem* sleeping with the fishes.

@purigen your tank is beautiful and I hope that mine will also be as such once this little rough patch is over. Thank you for your advice.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

API Root Tabs and Cloudiness

Also, before I forget, I was reading about bacterial blooms as toolman had suggested that was the cause of the cloudiness. What I read told me that these blooms can cause a big spike in ammonia, and because now I strongly suspect this may be behind the ammonia levels my next research topic will be what causes a bacterial bloom and if anything I have done fits in with those specifications.

In other news, I'm chucking the ammonia alert tag I have in my tank. It failed spectacularly.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm glad it came down and that the ammonia is at 0.5 ppm the prime will lock that and make it unharmful to the fish it turns it into ammonium wich is way less harmful, prime is the best water conditioner out there hands down, if you do pwc's with a bucket you only treat the amount of water your putting back into the Tank for example you do a 10 gallon pwc you use 1-1.5 ml of prime treating the water in the bucket before you put it in the tank , I always go half a ml over. Ty for the compliment on the tank is still a work in progress
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to hear that your ammonia went down. Good job researching, nobody knows more about what's going on in your tank than you do. We all have an opinion but you are there and educating yourself is the best thing you can do. Then you can tell us what happened and we learn also while helping you. That's what this forum's all about.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

API Root Tabs and Cloudiness

Okie dokie, so I just wanted to take some time to offer a quick update on what's going on.

I ran another ammonia test yesterday morning and it came at .25 ppm. So that seems to be decreasing.

Just for fun I decided to do a nitrate and nitrite test. Nitrite is at 2 ppm and nitrate is at 10 ppm. I'm not too concerned about the nitrate because my understanding is that it is beneficial to the plants. But it would seem that the tank is indeed cycling and possibly nearing the end of the cycle (I'm hoping anyhow).

Now, I also have a 10 gallon planted with a similar set up that I've had for approximately 3 months. I let it run fishless for a few weeks, continuously testing the water until I was satisfied that the ammonia and other levels of the tank were stable. That tank became the permanent home to 4 false jullis, 5 cpd, 5 small assorted snails, and 5 cherry shrimp. I noticed a bit of cloudiness a few days ago, around the same time that I noticed it in my main tank. So, again for fun, I tested this tank in the evening of the first day this thread was started. What do you know, there was ammonia in spades. Cue emergency water change, a dosage of prime, and a removal of one dead shrimp.

With this tank, I realised the problem was over feeding. Foolishly I had entrusted the feeding of these fish to my sister while I was at work and had specified the amount to put in the small tank, but she had other plans and decided to put more. She is no longer feeding them. To add insult to injury, she doesn't understand why I'm upset about one dead shrimp. Anyway.

I've dosed both tanks again with prime, as I had read that it loses effect after appx 48 hours. I've also introduced purigen to my main tank and will be putting it in my 10 gallon as well.

I had also found a very helpful thread about cycling with fish that I will post the link to for others to read (link below).

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side.

Tags
api, cloud, loud, root tabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com