Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

API Root Tabs and Cloudiness

Long story short, I have used root tabs for the first time. I only used one and buried it in the sand right at the root of my crypt. That was a couple of days ago. Now I've observed that the water is noticeably cloudy and, for what it's worth, one of my yoyo loaches seems to not be moving. When I left for work this morning it was between the glass and potted plant I haven't planted yet, and when I got home from work 12 hours later it was in the same spot. Don't know if is connected, but thought it was worth mentioning.

So as far as I know, the only difference is the root tab that I put in a couple of days ago. Last month I changed my substrate from gravel to sand. But... That was a month ago.

Overall, it's a 30 gallon planted tank with 6 otos, 6 rummynose tetra, 4 yoyo loach, and 1 rubber nose pleco. The filter is an aquaclear 50 and there is a bubbler.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The root tabs shouldn't be a problem, what are your water tests showing?

Many planted tanks have root tabs every 6" or less all around the tank.
What is your filtration, have you cleaned your filter lately?

A lot of times cloudiness is a bacterial bloom if white. If greenish can be green water (basically algae).

Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The filter is an aquaclear 50 and is due for a new charcoal insert this weekend.

The cloudiness is white. If it is a bacterial bloom, how do I manage that? I did a partial water change earlier tonight and will do another one tomorrow, and plan on doing a 50% water change on Thursday because I'll be home from work and will be able to spend a bit more time on it.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bacterial blooms will usually go away by themselves. Do you check your water, bacterial bloom usually occur in cycling tanks. You may be having a mini cycle, how often to you clean your filter. When you clean the filter just swish around in the bucket of water you just siphoned from your tank and put back in filter. Don't replace them until they fall apart. That's where your bacteria lives.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

The loach died
Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
Bacterial blooms will usually go away by themselves. Do you check your water, bacterial bloom usually occur in cycling tanks. You may be having a mini cycle, how often to you clean your filter. When you clean the filter just swish around in the bucket of water you just siphoned from your tank and put back in filter. Don't replace them until they fall apart. That's where your bacteria lives.

Yeah I was actually thinking about rinsing the media because I hate how gunky it gets.

The booklet that came with the filter said that charcoal to replace every month, the sponge every 3 months, and the top layer (which name escapes me atm) every 2 months. Should I throw the booklet in the trash?
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not quite that bad, but definitely don't change the ceramic pieces(forget their brand name) ever, unless they crumble to dust.
There's a bigger version of these that comes with canisters it's called biomax. Also don't change the sponge, just swish it and the ceramic media in water from water change before you toss the water then put them back in the filter. You just want to get any debris off. The sponge you can squeeze out pretty good, my water usually gets pretty nasty when I do this.

Most people with planted tanks don't use carbon in their tanks because it takes out nutrients the plants can use. I replaced the carbon with seachem Purigen, it does the same thing but it doesn't take out nutrients. Purigen is also reusable, there is a simple procedure to recharge it.

There are three types of filtration. Mechanical, chemical, &biological.

Mechanical is the sponge on the bottom, it removes any/most of the debris or dirt.

Chemical is the carbon or Purigen, that removes chemicals, smells, or medicine from the water. The only time I use carbon is to remove medicine. Purigen will remove tannins from water, if you have driftwood. That's why I like it.

Biological is the filter media that houses your beneficial bacteria. There are many different kinds, but what came with the filter is OK.

I believe you may have ammonia from changing your filter that caused your loach to get sick
Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The top layer is the biomax that you were talking about. I'll look for the purigen, I plan on adding some driftwood as it is.

You're right about the ammonia, I just did a test and I'm waiting for it to develop buy already it's showing about 2ppm based on my test kit. Is that enough to make fish sick? Usually it is at 0 or .25 ppm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7792.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	301684  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any ammonia and nitrites can be bad 0.25 is toxic to fish if not taken care of.

Seachem Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites below 1ppm.
Here is a good rule to follow..

If ammonia +nitrites =<1ppm dose prime per instructed on bottle.

If ammonia +nitrites are > 1ppm dose prime and do a 50% water change.

Either way prime detoxifies the water for 24hrs so retest in 24hrs.

It appears your tank is cycling because 2ppm is a lot. I would do a large water change (50%+, 75% if possible). If you have prime I would recommend using it, up to a x5 dose can be used in an emergency.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was able to do a 50% water change this morning before going to work, and I'll do it again tomorrow. Rinsed out the filter media too. Aquaclear has an ammonia insert that is supposed to pull ammonia from the water. I'd like to put that in my filter for the next few days.

I've never used prime before. I'll pick some up on my way home.

What would cause the tank to begin a cycle? The environment in the tank is about a year old and the only major change that was made was the substrate more than a month ago. The fish were in another tank for a few days while I made sure the water was stable for them. I haven't added a large number of fish in one go, and the only casualty I've had has been a rummy that came to me in poor condition already. I'm careful with feeding, never giving them more than they can manage. The loaches eat like little monsters so the substrate is pretty clean. Water changes are regular and devoid of drama.

Tags
api, cloud, loud, root tabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com