API test...anyone else find them hard to read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the API Master test kit, you want to hold the tube "against" the white strip next to the chart you're reading. Be sure to have a good light source in front of the test card and no shadows on the tube.

Not sure about the API G/Kh test, I have the Nutrafin kit and I just add 1 drop between shakes until it changes color and then just count them up to ID my water hardness. IMO you really only need to do this testing on rare occasions, since you're using the same water source every time (in my case anyways).

Api state you must hold your test tube up close to the card (so it touches the card) and read it. But I have had issues and found my test kit to be faulty. It couldn't read ammonia below 0.25
Also api say that if you have not used the nitrate bottle 2 for some time it will require more shaking than stated on the instruction book. They actually recommend banging the bottle on a solid surface a few times and shaking for about 3 mins. I was shaking mine and it may sound strange but the sound the solution made while shaking changed after about 2 min ( it sounded frothy) and I now use that as an indicator of when to stop. good luck

I found the same thing that someone else mentioned, it seems darker (too dark) to me if I hold it touching the card. But I hold mine "hovering" as someone else said above the card and against my white refrigerator. I hold it against the card at times as well.

Funny, no one has mentioned the ph. That is the hardest one for me because it seems that the colors progressively get darker, then there is one light one, then they get dark again.

I've heard that before about the nitrate bottle too koz, banging it on a hard surface. Apparently there are solids in there and I've noticed if I haven't banged it or shook it long enough sometimes something will block the opening, which I assume to be a piece of something solid that still needs to be dissolved.

I found the same thing that someone else mentioned, it seems darker (too dark) to me if I hold it touching the card. But I hold mine "hovering" as someone else said above the card and against my white refrigerator. I hold it against the card at times as well.

I hold mine hovering too. if that's the incorrect way of holding it than i've been overdosing my ammonia by ALOT!!!! When I hold it against the white backgound, my ammonia easily looks like an 8ppm.

I tried it both ways up against the card and then hovering slightly forward.

After testing the same water with a alternetive test kits (tetra ammonia kit) and Api. Then commpared results that both shown 0.50ppm the most accurate reading for API is to actualy hold it touching the card.
I sometime go outside in to ambiant light to ensure good colour recognition.

question Firteen888 after readiing your reply i assum you are doing a fishless cycle?
if so i cant really comment has i am day 23 in a fish in cycle. and have never done a fishless one. just set a tank up again after a good 6 year gap.

My interpetation of the colors after two months of daily testing is to imagine the colors on the card with the darker ones as not very see through with the lighter one being able to see through. I hold the tube to look through and then judge the color...hopes that makes sense.

I find that if the color immedietly changes in the bottom of the test tube when adding the drops, the hue of the color often shows which scale the final resuly will be. Wether darker or lighter. Nitrites for example, if when you first put drops in, the color is more blue at the bottom of the tube than purple, you're on the lower end of the color cake

BeavisMom62 said:

Funny, no one has mentioned the ph. That is the hardest one for me because it seems that the colors progressively get darker, then there is one light one, then they get dark again.

I've heard that before about the nitrate bottle too koz, banging it on a hard surface. Apparently there are solids in there and I've noticed if I haven't banged it or shook it long enough sometimes something will block the opening, which I assume to be a piece of something solid that still needs to be dissolved.

I have a hard time with the high ph ... The dark light dark brownish red colors confuse me

Back
Top Bottom