API Test - Help me, I'm color blind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a tank for some time now, and been using API test kits the whole time. Though, I'm not sure how "accurate" I've been recording the results, because I'm slightly color blind.

I drew out some water from my QT tank right before a water change. I know the pictures are tough to read out, but what would you interpret these results as? I uploaded the images in this same order:

Heres what I think:
Ammonia = .25
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10
pH = 8.4 (gosh that seems high)

Heres what my LFS thinks (same water, using their Tetra EasyStrips):
Ammonia = .5-1.0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = "some"
pH = Didn't test for

Attachments

• 20131210_211939.jpg
    20131210_211939.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20131210_212021.jpg
    20131210_212021.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 20131210_212302.jpg
    20131210_212302.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 113
  • 20131210_212238.jpg
    20131210_212238.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 114
I see

Ammonia .5 maybe a tiny bit less
Nitrite looks like 0 but could be my crappy monitor
Nitrate looks like 10 or a tiny bit less

The pH colour is a violet purple. Violet purple isn't on the card. It ranges from brownish orange to a very flat purple. I don't know how you got violet. Can you run the test again and post another picture please?

BTW did you white balance your camera and shoot this under a pure white (ie, 6500K) lightbulb? Otherwise our view of the colors will be off.

I'd say:
ammonia = .5
nitrite - 0
nitrate = 10

I'd agree with you that the pH seems about 8.4, but I always have trouble with the API pH test colors.

Thank you all. It seems my QT isn't cycled after all. Another missed cycle by using Nutrafin Cycle. Off to return the surviving 2 Mollies & ADF and fishless cycling from here on out!

Thank you all. It seems my QT isn't cycled after all. Another missed cycle by using Nutrafin Cycle. Off to return the surviving 2 Mollies & ADF and fishless cycling from here on out!

With such an insanely high pH, you would be wise to switch over to Tanganyikans. I don't know how large your tank is, but if you have a small tank you could get shelldwelling cichlids. You'd have to switch your gravel to a sand bottom and get a bunch of shells but you'd be rewarded with fascinating behaviour. The babies are worth a lot of money too.

With such an insanely high pH, you would be wise to switch over to Tanganyikans. I don't know how large your tank is, but if you have a small tank you could get shelldwelling cichlids. You'd have to switch your gravel to a sand bottom and get a bunch of shells but you'd be rewarded with fascinating behaviour. The babies are worth a lot of money too.

This is actually my 10G quarantine tank. The pH went down the next day to 7.8 (strange), nothing in the tank except PVC pipes, heater, filter, 2 mollies and an ADF.

But I'm thinking of getting a third tank! Uh oh, the wife won't be too happy... I'm thinking a semi-aggresive. That's cichlids, right? What minimum tank size would you suggest?

I'd suggest a 55 gallon if you want to get into cichlids. That'll give you a lot of options while not being terribly large.

You could keep things like:

Yellow lab cichlids
saulosi cichlids
demasoni cichlids
smaller haps like O. lithobates

etc

Back
Top Bottom