API Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was testing my water and it just now occurred to me that I was going to be gone for over an hour and on API's instructions it says you need to let the color develop for 5 minutes. will the results still be accurate by the time I come back? Thankfully i have never gotten any of the test solution in to the tanks but if it ever does happen what should I do? thanks!

If any test solution ever gets in a tank, I would probably move all the fish to a different one temporarily.

You need to be consistent with all of the times tests and read them at the appropriate time for each test. There is a reaction occurring with each test and there is no "neutralizer" to stop the reaction (and color change) at the end of the test.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So....is it inaccurate?

So....is it inaccurate?

It's only accurate at the time you are supposed to read it. Colors will continue to develop/change. It's like a cooking recipe. You need to follow the directions if you want it to turn out right.

It's only accurate at the time you are supposed to read it. Colors will continue to develop/change. It's like a cooking recipe. You need to follow the directions if you want it to turn out right.

I agree. I would just test again when you are able to be around for the whole test.

If ever you drop any sort of foreign solution into your tanks, you will want to do a large water change asap. That holds true for really anything other than water, or the specified amount of aquarium friendly products (ie, meds or water conditioner).

I am intrigued how anyone could ever accidentally drop testing solution into a tank.
Testing requires consistency. Timing is the most important. Nitrate testing is the trickiest and strict adherence to the instructions are essential.

Back
Top Bottom