Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

API test kit pH/ lowering ph

ok i had a 29 gallon tank which my pH was about 7.6 i got an established 75 gallon filled it transferred my fish but kept the gravel and filter media that was in the 75 before i got it.
I tested the pH and it read 7.6 but i used the high pH kit and it reads 8.0. i need to try to keep it between 7.4-7.6. ive heard adding chemicals such as pH down doesnt permanetly lower it but only less that 24 hrs. if i get driftwood how long before i see results? any other suggestions?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmysparks View Post
ok i had a 29 gallon tank which my pH was about 7.6 i got an established 75 gallon filled it transferred my fish but kept the gravel and filter media that was in the 75 before i got it.
I tested the pH and it read 7.6 but i used the high pH kit and it reads 8.0. i need to try to keep it between 7.4-7.6. ive heard adding chemicals such as pH down doesnt permanetly lower it but only less that 24 hrs. if i get driftwood how long before i see results? any other suggestions?
Why do you want to change it? I keep all sorts of fish at 7.6.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yo, I've already tried to ajust PH. The only thing I can tell you, is that it will more harm than something else. Fishs really hate PH fluctuations. If you put PH minus in the water, the PH will suddently drop one shot, that may stress then fish. And the day after, your PH will increase. This will stress more the fish.

The best way to lower PH is to cut your tap water with a bit of RODI water at each WC. In the aquarium, stability is better than respecting fish PH range. Adding RODI or distillated water will lower the KH value, then the PH will naturally lower by itself.

In my case, I never saw difference in PH by adding driftwood. I will suggest you do nothing for correcting this. What you can do it testing for KH.

I have API PH test kit too, and I can tell you that they are really NOT accurate and really hard to read. I have cardinals, neons, corys, shrimps, lampeye and more in my 29g, for this build the recommanded PH is 6.6-6.8 but they are really happy since 1 year at PH 7.6.

Remember, stability before.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Fish aren't nearly as picky about pH as people tend to think. I would just let it be without intervention, and your fish will acclimate to the new pH.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
Fish aren't nearly as picky about pH as people tend to think. I would just let it be without intervention, and your fish will acclimate to the new pH.

+1 yep.

Tags
api, test, test kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com