API test kit showing true results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a little inquiry about the API freshwater test kit...to put a long story short i have set up my first tanks in the past 5 months. Both african cichlid tanks...the first a grow out then to a 55g.
I used bio spira to cycle the first tank and transferred all media and substrate to the new tank.
Both tanks have had perfect water params throughout the time being set up except for 10ppm nitrate once when i first set up the first tank.

Basicly since then (the past 5 months) the water params have been 0ppm across the board. Never had a fish die, etc. I weekly do ~30% water changes.

So now that i have told you my tanks life stories...is this irregular, is the test wrong (i follow the directions, i dont see how i can mess that up), or am i just lucky?

test is wrong about what your nitrates ? you will basicly always have nitrates once it has cycle that is why you need to do water changes.

You really have to shake the crap out of bottle two of the nitrate kit and the test tube after you add the 10 drops from bottle two

I also think your nitrAte test could be wrong. Even an understocked tank with Africans would have some nitrAtes. They are messy fish! :) Get a new nitrAte test and make sure you follow the directions exactly. The AP nitrAte test takes a few mins to do, but you have to take your time to get an accurate reading.

check expiration date on box. once they sold me one that was expire and it didnt read anything

Expiration date is fine. I think i will try shaking bottle 2 more for the nitrates.

you need to drop first bottle then shake the second bottle before using for 30sec and the tube with water and first drops for 10sec
then drop the second sets of drops from the second bottle and then you need to shake the glass tube with water and both bottle drops for 1minutes and wait after for five to mesure results

Back
Top Bottom