API testing kit Nitrite question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mastro80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two tanks. The tank in question is a 10G freshwater with one 2.5" fancy goldfish as its only inhabitant. The fish is aggressive towards my others so he can't join them in my larger tank.

The 10G isn't fully cycled, although it does show 0 Ammonia and some Nitrate presence. My problem is that the Nitrites are sky high every morning. I have been doing 50% water changes 1-2 times every day. The Nitrite readings are between 1ppm and 2ppm every morning. In the instructions with the API kit, it says that it will show 3.3x as much Nitrite as other tests. One water change will bring the tank from ~2ppm to the .25-.5 range, two water changes will get it under .25. My question is should I be taking the reading as correct, or should i be dividing by 3.3 to determine the actual Nitrite level?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

PS I have had the fish for around a month and this has been a daily thing the whole time. He seems like he is in perfect health in every way.

Whatever the reading says is what it is. Your levels will always be off due to the fact they need a much bigger tank. They may be health now but the wont be in the long run do to stunting the fish. They wont be able to grow to their adult size and live a shortnd life

+1 @ Andrew

If your nitrite levels are reading 2ppm on the API test, thats what they actually are. The comment about 'other' tests reading 3.3x less means if you test nitrites with another type of test, you need to multiply the results by 3.3 to equal the same results as the API test. As you are using the API test, the results are correct.

Unfortunately, you will likely to continue to have issues with toxins that will steadily become worse as the fish grows. 20g is the bare minimum for a single fancy due to their hefty bioload and capacity for growth. As large adult, a bigger tank is a good possibility.

Aggression is not common with goldfish although it does happen as each fish has a distinct personality as do people. More often than not, aggression with goldfish is due to insufficient tank size, overstocking, poor water quality and/or breeding behaviors and need to be addressed by causative factors involved.

The aggression was occurring in a 37G with just two fancies including the aggressor, no other fish in a cycled tank with clean water. Both are juvenile and about 2.5". It was unusual by all accounts.

Now the aggressive one is solo in a 10G. I have a Top Fin 30 HOB filter on there, so filtration should be excessive. I am aware of the 20G for first fish +10G for additional goldfish thing, I just don't have anywhere else to put him.

The larger tank now has 3 juvenile fancies living in harmony and I don't want to add the aggressive one into the mix.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom