apisto aggi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Still trying to put together my fish list for my 55 gal planted.. thinking about a pair of Aggies and a pair of Bolivian rams other than that just shoaling tetras ie the black and gold skirts, glolight, cardinals and maybe a small school of harlequin raspboras or bousmani rainbows maybe and some Cory's and my two candy stripe plecos.. anyone see any problems with this setup? I also have a higher ph in my area 8.0-8.2 but am under the understanding that as long as its constant that even the south american species will do ok? Any advice is welcomed.

Last edited:
The two cichlids may be a concern, but I think you've got a big enough tank to accommodate the two.

I think my Ph is too high to breed in both cases so I might be avoiding the territorial breeding stages. Granted they still have issues I know.. just not the deathly kind I hope.

pantherspawn said:
I think my Ph is too high to breed in both cases so I might be avoiding the territorial breeding stages. Granted they still have issues I know.. just not the deathly kind I hope.

Fish adjust to P.H... I'd guess you may wind up with eggs anyway. Just have a backup, and if fights break out move the pair causing problems. Don't split up... They only mate with one other fish for life, (so I've heard), and could easily die of heartbreak.

Yeah I've always got backup tanks. Have ten or so empty ones around the house in case of emergency. How much rock should i be adding for the territories? As of now I've got two large caves made of river rock one giant one made of slate and quite a few pieces of mopani

Basically make two large caves on either side, with a ton of cover, then open swimming space in the middle, and all that. Are you doing fake or live plants?

Im pretty heavily planted. Anacharis, wisteria, moneywort, many anubais varieties, tiger lotus, crypts, corkscrew val.

pantherspawn said:
Im pretty heavily planted. Anacharis, wisteria, moneywort, many anubais varieties, tiger lotus, crypts, corkscrew val.

Cool! I know The rams don't eat plants, and I don't believe angels do either.

pantherspawn said:
Wouldn't matter if they did.. I'm not getting any.. angels that is haha

Ack, I thought that said angels! Lol, same deal with the aggies though.

Aww man! I'm so not a morning person! Even the title if the thread is apisto aggie lol.

Homedog98 said:
Aww man! I'm so not a morning person! Even the title if the thread is apisto aggie lol.

Haha no worries.. I've got one up on ya.. haven't slept yet.

Mogurako said:
You can always filter peat if you're worried about high ph.

What's weird is that with all of the mopani wood and extremely tea colored water from the tannins, the Ph hasn't dropped at all.. I'm not too worried about it, I'd rather keep my Ph level than lowering it as long as the fish will tolerate it.

Mines close to 8.4 out of the tap then drops to 8.2 and hovers between 8.2 and 8.0 which is great for African species but not so much for south American.. just have to stay away from wild caught species I guess.

Back
Top Bottom