Apistogrammas and pond snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Funken_A

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought an male female pair of apistogrammas. Just recently I noticed I no longer have pond snails. I was removing dozens a week but haven't found any in more than a month.

SO does anyone else concur that appistos may be good optioons for ridding pond snails. It would be a fantastic option for any tank if true because they are a cool cichlid that does well in acidic planted tank conditions

I also have MTS they have reduced in numbers but are still doing decent.. I like MTS for their burrowing abilities and trash eating abiities, but they tend ot get out of control if there is too much food etc....

40689276780_d61f58c3cd_h.jpg

Last edited:
Glad they worked out the snail problem in your tank, but I think this shows more how variable apisto's temperaments are. I have 3 (2 F and 1 M) and a THRIVING neo shrimp population.... They don't flinch at snails or shrimp.

I'm not sure if it was the apistos but it was the only real variable I saw that might explain the sudden dissapearance.

I also have MTS and Nerlite snials that seem unaffected by them

I have a featherfin squeaker catfish that loved the shrimp I once had but never touched the snails

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom