Apple/Mystery snail with goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lots of snail talk lately and pics of "Gary" splitting the seams made me think that I want one. Are they safe in a goldie tank (both fish less than 3", including tail)? Also, what other reqs do they need (i.e. feeding, temp)?

Yes...the larger apple snails are often used as pond snails for goldfish ponds. Food is simple...they eat pretty much everything and anything, so leftover fish food works well.

WooHoo! I'm gettin' me a snail!!!! LOL I feed veggies on a regular basis as well as sinking algae wafers. I'm sure that he'll have plenty of food in that department. My daughter will love the guy as well (3 years old and a fascination with snails).

You'll want to make sure that they get plenty of calcium so that they can build a strong shell. This can be supplemented either in their diet or by making sure that the KH is high enough. Reptile Sticks are a great prepared food that is high in calcium. There are lots of other veggies that you can feed as well.

For additional info you could check out AppleSnail.net. They've got lots of great articles about identifying and care of snails.

Well, you kinda asked for it:

Gary eating a carrot
garysept1.jpg

Gary at the top of the world (at least the top of the tank)
garysept.jpg

The carrots and algae wafers are a nice supplement as well. I got Gary when he was the size of a marble about a year ago. Look at him now. :)

Back
Top Bottom