apple snail on top of mystery.snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this in my tank.. my apple snail looked like it was trying to eat my small mystery snail...is this possible? the apple was holding on to my mystery snail.

Hi, I had a cana apple snail for a long time & everytime I put another apple snail in my tank she ate their shells it can sometimes mean a lack of calcium & they,ll eat the other snails shell to replace it. But it's possible that it's cleaning algae off it? My nerites do that. Just keep an eye on them thats what I do with mine.

Could be poor water quailty thats what my apple golden snail did.

Now I have clean water he never floats at the top!

That's great, they do some strange things! They,re fun to watch. Mine died 2wks ago keep saying I,ll have to get another one. Glad your snails are fine.

my water parameters are all fine.
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 20 they have been getting high though I think its cause im a lil overstocked..i will be rehoming a few fish this weekend..
ph 7.6

how could it be poor water quality

To me water quality doesn't cause snail's to do that, it's usually calcium probs put a small piece of cuttlefish bone in the tank for the snails to nibble on that should help. If it was the water the snail would close up our try to get out the tank.

Local pet stores they use for birds just ask someone their, also give cucumber it helps too. Your snails are lovely it could also be down to size difference they should be fine.

You only a small piece to put about a couple of inches of the bone when it gets soft put a new piece in. Just put it in your gravel & leave an area open so they can sit on it to eat. Take care

Back
Top Bottom