Appropriate Fish for Tank Dimensions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panathinaikos55

Aquarium Advice Regular
This may or may not be an odd question, but I was wondering if the dimensions of the tank affect the type of fish that can be stocked.

For examample, I have a 62 gallon tank that I am currently in the process of cycing. Before I start looking at types of fish to stock, I wanted to research if there were certain types of fish that my aquarium would either benefit or be less than ideal for. I know tanks come in all shapes and sizes, but I'd have to imagine that certain tanks would provide a better home to certain species than others would (long and narrow vs. short and tall).

My tank is long and narrow. It measures 56" long x 12" wide x 22" tall. It has a mixture of live plants & fake plants, two rather large pieces of driftwood, and some assorted rocks. I also have some Geodes that I have read mixed aquarium use information about, so I have not currently introduced them into the tank (although vinigar tesk did not fizz).

I would like to have a good variety of compatible fish (schooling, bottom feeders, etc) to fill the environment appropriately.

Would any certain species benefit, or be hindered by the dimensions of my tank and the long, yet narrow swimming area?

This may or may not be an odd question, but I was wondering if the dimensions of the tank affect the type of fish that can be stocked.

For examample, I have a 62 gallon tank that I am currently in the process of cycing. Before I start looking at types of fish to stock, I wanted to research if there were certain types of fish that my aquarium would either benefit or be less than ideal for. I know tanks come in all shapes and sizes, but I'd have to imagine that certain tanks would provide a better home to certain species than others would (long and narrow vs. short and tall).

My tank is long and narrow. It measures 56" long x 12" wide x 22" tall. It has a mixture of live plants & fake plants, two rather large pieces of driftwood, and some assorted rocks. I also have some Geodes that I have read mixed aquarium use information about, so I have not currently introduced them into the tank (although vinigar tesk did not fizz).

I would like to have a good variety of compatible fish (schooling, bottom feeders, etc) to fill the environment appropriately.

Would any certain species benefit, or be hindered by the dimensions of my tank and the long, yet narrow swimming area?
I would not get any fish over 6 inches as an absolute maximum. Cichlids are one species that benefits from longer shallower tanks.
In my opinion the tank you have is perfect for either a sub 4 inch community or an amazing nano.
My ideas:
Plan 1:
10x glowlight tetras
10x zebra danios
10x dwarf praux rainbowfish
1x pearl gourami
6x ottocinclus (or 1x bushynose pleco)
10x your favourite corydoras species
Plan 2:
10x ember tetras (only if you have proper decor or they will hide)
10x dwarf tetras (2 or 3 different species in schools of 10)
10x Dwarf danio
10x ottocinclus
10x dward cory
lots of shrimp

Back
Top Bottom