Appropriate heater Wattage for 20gal FW tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am sure this has been covered before, but please bear with me. I have a twenty gallon FW tank. It's roughly 12x20x24, what wattage heater should I use for the tank. I plan on keeping Angelfish in it. thanks in advance.

I think a 100w would do nicely. You might even go with a 150w. I'd stick with an Ebo Jager or a Visi Therm. Both of them are good heaters. Don't get a cheap heater...you'll have broiled angelfish. Also, don't trust the scale on the front of the heater...get a thermometer and use it to set the heater.
Logan J

A rough rule of thumb to figure out how big of a heater you need, is 5 watts per gallon. Like Logan has said, a 100w or 150w heater will be more than good enough to heat a 20 gallon tank... :) In my opinion, Ebo Jager heaters are by far the best available and most reliable and most accurate heaters you can get. Definately worth the time and money to find an Ebo Jager.

Another note to add to Irondogg's 5watts per gal rule of thumb. The warmer you keep your tank above room temperature the higher wattage heater you will want.

So while you could get buy with a 50W heater in a 20 gal tank if you keep your room temp at 74 and your tank temp at 76 or 78. If you keep your room temp at 68 and try to get your tank temp up to 78 the smaller the heater the longer it will have to run to maintain the desired temp.

Just dont go crazy and put a 300W heater in there. If for some reason it would stick on you might come home to some boiled fish. (no joke).

On larger tanks I like to get two heaters.

See my post in the lounge regarding buying American products for the duration of the war. I've used visi-therms for years, find them to be reliable, and they are made here. Do agree with logan though, you can't trust the temp. scale on the heater, use a thermometer to get accurate readings.

Wow, You guys are awesome. Thanks for the great info. I found both those heaters on-line @DrsfosterSmith.com. Is this a reputable vendor on the net? I'll probably get the Visi-therm. I also try to buy american made products, as long as they are well made.

Dr Foster is OK I guess. I have ordered from them before with good results. The shipping ($7.99) kinda hurts on a small order though. I'd check around before I bought and factor in the shipping. You may be able to buy the heater from your LFS for the same price or even less.
Logan J

I am of the same opinion as loganJ...

On a smaller purchase, the added shipping charges may negate any possible savings that you found 'on-line'. I would check on-line for some makes, models and prices and then armed with that information, visit your LFS.

You can get Visi at most LFS and it is pretty comperable once you add shipping to your online order.

Back
Top Bottom