apsiogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Indian Almond leaves. I have a friend who uses dried oak and beech leaves because when they break down they are acidic, and the acidicness is what you want. Just make sure the leaves you use are dried, not fresh and green.

Yeah predfan! I'm currenty writing a book on marine biology and fish species . Let me know if you breed them!

Samzter said:
Yeah predfan! I'm currenty writing a book on marine biology and fish species . Let me know if you breed them!

You can call me Adam :)

That's awesome that you're writing that! Good luck to you.

I may be reworking my aquariums to set up more of an Apisto biotope feel. We will see. Let me know how everything goes keeping them in the 10. I may do that also!

Yeah thanks Adam! Lol. What plants and decor would you recommend? I was thinking a manopi branch, if that is how you spell it! Then some plants and amanos or red cherry.

Samzter said:
Yeah thanks Adam! Lol. What plants and decor would you recommend? I was thinking a manopi branch, if that is how you spell it! Then some plants and amanos or red cherry.

I think mopani or manzanita or bog wood would all do. If you have good leaf litter in there, I think they tend to use that more than the wood. Adding some hardy plants like Java Fern and Java Moss (Mostly for the RCS if you go that route) or some Crypts always is nice. Although from the article Scott gave us, it seems plants don't particularly occur where Apistos live. I'd add them tho.

Along the lines of the RCS, I'd make sure that the Shrimp in there are not your main colony. But rather a tank to put your cull into. Apistos will no doubt eat them if they find them.

The biggest thing is to notice warning signs. Just because you have a male and female, it doesn't always result in a breeding pair. I'm in that boat at the moment. I'm trying to figure out if my smaller Gibbiceps is a female or a juvenile male.

Thanks! I'm hinge for a breeding pair but they are all for bid . I'll check again later.

I've found a proven breeding pair on eBay . But they are for bid. Which is annoying. The only problem is they are not fire reds but I don't mind. I'm gonna keep looking out on this breeding pair. I'm going to go to the Lfs today to tell them to order some in for me. I will ask for a male and female , maybe a breeding pair. I'm also going to pick up a male GBR . I think they are gonna breed in the tank then when they are done the apistogrammas are in!

Samzter said:
I've found a proven breeding pair on eBay . But they are for bid. Which is annoying. The only problem is they are not fire reds but I don't mind. I'm gonna keep looking out on this breeding pair. I'm going to go to the Lfs today to tell them to order some in for me. I will ask for a male and female , maybe a breeding pair. I'm also going to pick up a male GBR . I think they are gonna breed in the tank then when they are done the apistogrammas are in!

What kind of Apisto are the breeding pair?

So you're planning on GBR breeding, then moving then out, then putting the Apistos in?

Did you see the photo I posted before? They are the Apistogramma agassizi fire red. I think the german blues may breed in another tank . I feel it's best. This other pair are apistogramma cacatauoides

Samzter said:
Did you see the photo I posted before? They are the Apistogramma agassizi fire red. I think the german blues may breed in another tank . I feel it's best. This other pair are apistogramma cacatauoides

Oh maybe I misunderstood. You said the only problem is that they aren't fire reds, is the one you bid on the Cacatoides?

Predfan27 said:
Oh maybe I misunderstood. You said the only problem is that they aren't fire reds, is the one you bid on the Cacatoides?

Well, I haven't bid yet but I'm not fussed if they aren't fire reds. The fire reds are expensive whereas the others are the ones I may bid on. Or I may lean towards two ten gallons and get both lol.

Samzter said:
Well, I haven't bid yet but I'm not fussed if they aren't fire reds. The fire reds are expensive whereas the others are the ones I may bid on. Or I may lean towards two ten gallons and get both lol.

Any updates? I love the Fire Red ones (although I've always had a soft spot for Agassizzii).

Back
Top Bottom