apsiogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! i was just wondering what size tank a male and female pair of apistogramma agassizi need? i have a 10 gallon or a 30 but the 30 is basiclly fully stocked , where as the ten has no other fish in there. can they live in a community? say if i wanted some panda or pygmy cories and maybe a school of galaxy rasbora. would they get along fine? and please could you mention anything else you knwo about them. thanks a bunch, sam. :thanks:

I added a trio (1male-2 female) of double reds a while back in the 220g. Let's say they are little but mighty. The rams don't even try to mess with them. They do fine in my community but the tank is heavily planted with DW and a couple natural cave areas but if someone is in their area or just in the way they will chase them off (including the big angels). Actually I'd appreciate them more in a smaller tank where they are the stars. Mine stay very low in the tank so those with cory's in a smaller tank "might" be a problem. It just depends on the attitude of your pair. They are fiesty little guys!

Do you think they could live in a 10g? Iwas thinking one male one female, I was wondering if you thought that they might be able to accept two females and one male? Or would that overstocked the tank? I'm now think species only , or with some ember tetra.

I've had a pairs successfully in a 10g, you have to be prepared to put extra work in with water tests and changes, but it can work. I would also recommend a filter for 20g used, sand substrate, bogwood, dried almond leaves and not to bright lighting. Leave out the Cory's, it doesn't work, I've tried it - the little guys get chased to much, you could try RCS with Agazzi - some leave them some eat them. I use blue axel rod rasbora (7), as company for them, nice and small and can get out of the way if needed, I've also had green neons, and scarlet basis in 10g tanks with Apisto's with no problems. Some say you need a 20g but if its a 10g and a good shape, like long it will work out, do one male and one female and don't add them until tank is cycled fully, if all goes well add another female - though you could just upset the tank, just make the tank interesting for them.

Last edited:
In a 10g I don't think I'd try 2 females for the male. The females each have to set up their own territory that the male goes to (when they let him). I love these little guys but seriously they are fiesty, well at least mine are. I think you will enjoy them more in a species tank and think a 10g for a pair is a good size. Make sure to make a couple caves for them to choose from for spawning. You can also use the little clay flower pots as caves for them. If you have a pair in a 10g personally I wouldn't even put embers in with them. If they would decide to spawn in that size tank I'm not sure the embers would be safe. Could be wrong but going by how mine are I wouldn't risk it.

I was thinking the most natural tank yet! Since it rains a lot here I was considering using the rain water. But I'm gonna ask you two what you think of that. I am prepared for looking after them and I would like a high survival rate so I may do a species only. I have a fluval u2 which would fit nicely in there. It's rated for 30g though. It will be an instant cycle, so hopefully all goes well. They're just so pretty but expensive. Where I am they don't sell them but they do online. £25 for the pair and £17 for shipping. Would you say that's a good amount ?

I think that a 20Long would be best honestly. They definitely shouldn't go in the 30 (they will not enjoy your Rams) and a 10 is a little small in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything in there with them should you go the 10g route and go with a definite male and female pair. I have a pair in my 29g and I believe I actually received 2 males. Let me tell you, the bigger male DOES NOT let up. He is relentless.

If you are going the 10 route, I'd look for A. Borelli. They are a little hardier and smaller. I believe that breeding tanks size 10 works well, but full living should be a little bigger. Just my opinion though.

Predfan27 said:
I think that a 20Long would be best honestly. They definitely shouldn't go in the 30 (they will not enjoy your Rams) and a 10 is a little small in my opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything in there with them should you go the 10g route and go with a definite male and female pair. I have a pair in my 29g and I believe I actually received 2 males. Let me tell you, the bigger male DOES NOT let up. He is relentless.

If you are going the 10 route, I'd look for A. Borelli. They are a little hardier and smaller. I believe that breeding tanks size 10 works well, but full living should be a little bigger. Just my opinion though.

Yeah they may have to live in the 10, until they get upgraded a year down the line. I'm now defiantly going to do a species tank for them, and I will see how things go in my 30 a ram can live in a 10 if that would make things easier. But if they're a problem I have back up lol! Do you think rainwater would be a good idea?

I would be worried using rain water, although more people are doing it these days and B&Q sell a rain water collection unit which is good I would be to worried about unseen contaminates getting into the supply especially in a 10g. RO water buffered with SA trace salts would be better, though again if your using bogwood, almond leaves and frequent water changes there is no real reason. eBay for Apisto's is hit and miss, better off with aquarist classifieds and look for a member of the British Cichlid Association selling some. Rare Aquatics UK sell some nice fish and are very reliable as our Tyne Valley aquatics who will sell over the phone for posting. Keep the tank nice and dark for 2 days after recieving Apisto's in the mail and even though you will be putting in a cycled filter keep up the water checks.

Last edited:
Don't know where your at but I'd be leary of our rainwater (I'm in a big city). There are alot of people I've talked to over the years that have used rainwater and swear by it. I use part tap, part RO, then have peat balls (from UK) and almond leaves in the tank. A 10g will work and if/when you can you can always upgrade. As for price things are priced so different here in the states than you guys in UK. The best price for a true pair that I have found is around $18 each then added shipping. I have to ship most of my fish in because we don't have squat locally for fish stores anymore.

Samzter said:
Yeah they may have to live in the 10, until they get upgraded a year down the line. I'm now defiantly going to do a species tank for them, and I will see how things go in my 30 a ram can live in a 10 if that would make things easier. But if they're a problem I have back up lol! Do you think rainwater would be a good idea?

Nah I wouldn't move the Ram.

Rainwater should be a great idea to keep pH neutral and soft. Pair that with some leaf litter and I believe you have a recipe for breeding! All the more reason to not have them in the 30. They get super aggressive, big bite in a little fish but that's what makes them great.

The Apisto pair should be fine for awhile in the 10g, so it's not a giant rush on that. Heck, you may find that the 10 will suit them long term! We all know how Cichlids have individual personalities :)

They are truly spectacular fish! I just recently got my pair of A. Gibbiceps. I'll try and upload a pic of the confirmed male in a minute.

He is a little cracker already, looks very happy with himself!

And also agree with Rivercats - peat balls are very good! Nice dark water and she is probably getting them eBay from Tyne Valley.

Borderlesscott said:
He is a little cracker already, looks very happy with himself!

Yeah! And imagine Sam, Gibbiceps isn't imported often because it's not as colorful! Find yourself an Agasizzii and wow! They are soooo pretty.

Also, Scott, I uploaded some pics back on my thread "really need help" if you would be so kind :)

Okay I still have one more question lol. Would any sort of leaves do? If I picked them from the garden and washed them?

Samzter said:
Here's a photo of the male:

Beautiful!

Agassizzi Fire Red right?

Good luck, truly fascinating fish. Maybe, since we are both getting Apistos for the first time, we can update each other as we go along! Haha

Back
Top Bottom