Aqadvisor???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suspectstew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, just wondering what the general view of the 'advanced stocking calculator' was among tank owners in the know? Had a play with it in relation to a new project and the results seemed a little way off in my oppinion (overstocked)
For a 33g tank it was allowing over 50 fish (mostly small tetra)!
Any thoughts?

Actually... Depending on the tetra .. I'm thinking neons.. It may not be far off.. Neons have such a small bio-load.

BUT... In general I think you'll find that more experienced members will tell you to use it as a guide only.

jcolon is right. If they are small tetras that could be right. But in many situations the stocking calculator is way off. So probably you should see what aqadvisor has to say but get a second opinion here.

From what I remember, aqadvisor was put together with input from a lot of hobbyists so it's not likely to be way off base, although I'm sure it's not perfect. It's definitely good to get second opinions especially from those that you can communicate back and forth with.

Ok, thanks. I will post my proposed setup later today and see what you guys think.

If it is some of the smaller tetras like say the green neon they would only get to about 3/4 to an inch same with ember tetras that being the case it may not be too far off. Aqadvisor also takes filtration into consideration so depending on what you have there it may say you could do more. The only problem that I can see with that site is if you just keep adding filtration it will pretty much just let you keep adding fish to your stock list, which we all know isn't how it works. But in general I do find it helpful when getting started on a new project.

I'm not a big fan of stocking calculators, but it's good for entertainment purposes, or for a "jumping off point" to get ideas, etc. I agree that it is always a good idea to bounce ideas off of members here.

Ok, so the tank i am looking to get is the 'Aqua one horizon 130'. It comes in at around 33g. I want to replace the internal filter with the external 'Aqua one aquaris 750 or 1000'. I will also look to put in an inline heater but need to research a little more before i commit!
So to the fish:-
15x black neon tetras
15x glowlight tetras
7x marbled hatchetfish
7x adolfo corys
2x bumblebee plecos
5x cherry shrimp
To be honest the last two are debatable, may just go with a small shoal of ottos.
What do we think?

I say keep the shrimp and go with the otos those cherry shrimp are really cool. Maybe not the plecos bio load is high on those guys.

I only use aqua advisor as a guideline to stock a tank. I don't follow the info entirely and I tend to stock less then what it tells me to stock

Back
Top Bottom