AqAdvisor - How Legit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I messed around with AqAdvisor again for the first time since it came out. It says my tanks are 173% and 268% overstocked. I have an AC70 on my 29g and an AC30 and AC50 on my 20L. The tanks are a little full, but the water parameters are never bad. I'd say the filter ratings could be made a little less conservative.

Could you also post your stocking level and your tank dimension please? I have a feeling that it is heavily stocked. I believe that a "working stocking level" is a range. I've seen people who will maintain tanks for years at 200% without issues but they do their share of tank maintenance and also make sure aggression issues are properly handled. AqAdvisor is a tool for beginners hence I don't suggest them to stock them up to 200%. But I'm sure advanced keepers can go well beyond 100% without issues.

I think it is a nice tool for beginners. It allows them to get an idea of what they can have in their tank. Compatibility can always be an issue with certain fish. I've seen angels eat every occupant of a tank before, so that might not be a good fish to add to a partially full tank, especially if it does become aggressive and you have no place to move her.

I'm all for providing easily accessible information to those who are getting started. Conservative is better for that group since they tend to over-estimate their abilities or the capabilities of their equipment.

It won't be as beneficial to advanced hobbyists who have practial experience and lots of practice.

This summarizes my intention very well. Thank you. ;)

The only thing I want to add is that, I received comments even from experienced keepers that it is useful for them when they are researching species they are not familiar with.

I've played with it but don't give it much stock (pardon the pun) It tried to tell me that synodontis catfish (featherfins) aren't compatible with african cichlids(mbuna) .

Yeah this one is odd. I actually covered all the other Synodontis species but for some reason I left this one out from the compatible group for mbuna species.

I'll need to correct this.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm not sure specifically about the mbuna, but I have a Synodontis with a blood parrot cichlid and electric blue dempsey and they get along without any problems. In fact, I'd say the electric blue, which is sometimes the bully of the tank, is afraid of the catfish. They're all somewhat juveniles rigfht now, though.

In most cases, people won't recommend that combo because they are from a different biotope with different water chemistry. Let us know how it works out.

As far as AqAdvisor goes, the stocking capacity it gave me for my 55 gallon tank was FAR different from the very reuptable people at my lfs.

Could you post that combo here as well please? I have been collecting hundreds if not thousands of stocking plans, discuss them on forums and update them based on feedback from those who are experienced. If AqAdvisor DB is wrong, I'd like to fix it.

I am according to AQ advisor.....647% overstocked in one tank and 900% overstocked in another.

guess more then two angels and 5 discus in a 210 is overstocking.

This is really odd. It should not be overstocked, especially at those levels. Did you type your tank dimension correctly?

This stocking plan contains 2 angels and 5 discusses in a 210g tank. It only shows 41% stocking levels.

Back
Top Bottom