Aqua Clear 50 Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliSab

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having an issue with my Aqua clear 50. It is only a year or so old and has worked perfectly for months, and just in the last week I have noticed that the output is less than what it should be. The filter is set to max, the flow coming out of the filter is less than if it were set at the lowest setting.

I've done everything I can think of bring the flow rate back up, but nothing is working. I've rinsed the media, cleaned the impeller and motor, adjusted the level of the filter, etc. I've run it with no media in the basket and there is minimal difference. The intake is clear of any debris.

There is a film on the surface of the my tank because of the laughable trickle of water that is coming out, and the tank is getting dirtier by the day.

Is this a problem with the motor? What do I have to do to fix this aside from buying a new filter? It's a year old and I don't want to replace it if it isn't required.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks.

I've not heard of a motor going bad on these resulting in poor performance. I believe either the motor is working or it is not (dead).
You have covered pretty much everything. Are you certain the intake tube is firmly seated on filter? I'm guessing so but thought I would ask as I had recently removed the intake on my AC50 (to clean a prefilter sponge) and after putting back on, the flow was pretty weak. I then pushed down on the intake tube and the flow returned to the expected rate.
If the above does not fix it, then you might consider a new filter. I like AC50s; been running them for years with no incident. BTW, on Amazon a replacement AC50 motor is about $30 USD and a complete filter is around $37 USD.

I'll try pushing the intake tube in again. I had taken the whole thing apart and cleaned it because I thought maybe there was a blockage somewhere. Pretty sure I put it back together properly but I'll give it a try.

If it is slow the impeller is eith not seated properly[Push it down more with a pencil] , the base that goes over the impeller is not seated correctly or the intake tube is not seated properly [push it back towards filter body and then down].
I run over 30 AQ and maybe 15+ 50s.Only one gave me trouble so far and it was the impeller being not seated enough for me.It rattled when it was like this and I solved the problem by pushing into the filter body with a pencil eventually...
Great filters...
Are you sure all the blades are still on impeller?

Had a similar problem with one of my AC' s. The problem was the intake tube. It was seated properly, but gunk had built up inside the tube. Ran a brush through it. Good as new.

I've not heard of a motor going bad on these resulting in poor performance. I believe either the motor is working or it is not (dead).
You have covered pretty much everything. Are you certain the intake tube is firmly seated on filter? I'm guessing so but thought I would ask as I had recently removed the intake on my AC50 (to clean a prefilter sponge) and after putting back on, the flow was pretty weak. I then pushed down on the intake tube and the flow returned to the expected rate.
If the above does not fix it, then you might consider a new filter. I like AC50s; been running them for years with no incident. BTW, on Amazon a replacement AC50 motor is about $30 USD and a complete filter is around $37 USD.

I'm with you. For the purposes of simplicity and respect to the poor little fishes, I would just get another. More water flow = clear water + more O2.

If it is slow the impeller is eith not seated properly[Push it down more with a pencil] , the base that goes over the impeller is not seated correctly or the intake tube is not seated properly [push it back towards filter body and then down].
I run over 30 AQ and maybe 15+ 50s.Only one gave me trouble so far and it was the impeller being not seated enough for me.It rattled when it was like this and I solved the problem by pushing into the filter body with a pencil eventually...
Great filters...
Are you sure all the blades are still on impeller?

Is it really that great that that's all you have? Have you tried others? I've been watching the price for the tetra whisper but everyone that posted so far in this thread makes it seem like I should watch for AquaClear.

Is it really that great that that's all you have? Have you tried others? I've been watching the price for the tetra whisper but everyone that posted so far in this thread makes it seem like I should watch for AquaClear.
Yea IMO they really are the best.(y)
I run sponge filters driven by air in most of my tanks also. I like Aquatops.
Any tank of mine over 10g has at least 1 AQ hob and a sponge filter if not 2 AQ hobs .I use sponge or screen prefilters to protect fry.
I breed fish and have 42 active tanks..:eek:
I have been keeping fish for over 30 years,so for me if it isn't a sump[overflows and all] then the AQ line of filters rule.

... everyone that posted so far in this thread makes it seem like I should watch for AquaClear.

You should, indeed. I've been using them for years with no problems that weren't the result of "operator error." :angel:

Regarding the original question, I was cleaning my filters and ran into the same problem on an AC20. It turned out I hadn't seated the intake tube properly. When I fixed that, everything returned to normal.

UPDATE:

Tried pushing the intake in in case it hadn't been pushed all the way. It had been.
Got in touch with customer service and long story short they're sending me a new filter.

Yea IMO they really are the best.(y)
I run sponge filters driven by air in most of my tanks also. I like Aquatops.
Any tank of mine over 10g has at least 1 AQ hob and a sponge filter if not 2 AQ hobs .I use sponge or screen prefilters to protect fry.
I breed fish and have 42 active tanks..:eek:
I have been keeping fish for over 30 years,so for me if it isn't a sump[overflows and all] then the AQ line of filters rule.

Do you know all the filter size that would fit a 55 gallon tank? I'm trying to find the smallest one since I'll have two duel sponge filter. I have two filters that rated for 10 gallon and neither fit my 55 because of the rim.

Do you know all the filter size that would fit a 55 gallon tank? I'm trying to find the smallest one since I'll have two duel sponge filter. I have two filters that rated for 10 gallon and neither fit my 55 because of the rim.

Well, I would use an Aquaclear 70 on a 55 gallon tank. How wide is the rim on your tank?

Back
Top Bottom