Aqua scape question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquascapist

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any ideas on how to make this better? I'm just not that pleased with it.
Thanks

ForumRunner_20130325_003202.jpg

I actually don't think it looks too bad! I kinda like it. But like said above you could add some height in the back.

I like it, But since you asked. Maybe a nice piece of driftwood on the right hand side. Also maybe take that top piece of slate off those stones. Will look natural and the slate looks "placed"

Maybe some more rocks, smooth rounded rocks and stagger them on the floor of the tank?

Give the the tank height and the illusion of it bigger lager.

It looks "level" if that makes sense. The scape is "even" make it more "chaotic"

I agree with you totally. It seems like every aquascape I see is elevated on the sides with a trench/ravine in the middle. That has to be the way to do it. Any ideas of what I should do with the big piece of slate? I appreciate the advice.

I agree with you totally. It seems like every aquascape I see is elevated on the sides with a trench/ravine in the middle. That has to be the way to do it. Any ideas of what I should do with the big piece of slate? I appreciate the advice.

First I'd like to say this... There is no right or wrong in this IMO, its art and art is left to interpretation. You do what you want and what makes you happy :) its your tank, you need to view it,no one else.

With that said, I think the slate could still be used(maybe), if you build say the right side up with rocks making caves you could angle the slate down to kinda hide some of the caves. Or just remove it totally.

I think and again just my opinion. It would look nice if you built it up with the same rocks you have on the bottom. Stacking them unevenly then maybe a piece of driftwood reaching to the top to give the tank height.

You could also, do a complete rock scape with no driftwood... It's really up to you. A good thing to remember is, when scaping, take a break and a step back. View the tank with fresh eyes and see where you stand. Something my hit you. Something may be needed to add or taken away.

Aqua scaping is never done IMHO, its always a work in progress. I've rescaped my tanks many many times.

It's when I can't find anything to take away that I now I'm done.

It you notice "most" of scapes have included adding then weeks later new scape where I removed the object or objects I placed in the tank the first go around. The latest scape I just added some basic substrate rock work.

That's pretty much it. Here to help of you need it.

Again always remember the most important thing!! If YOU like it then that's all that matters!

:)

Last edited:
I feel like i'm limited to what I can do because of the plants rooted down in the back. Is there any way to move plants without hurting them? Also I think I need to add more substrate. I only have about an inch and a half down. I have two pieces of drift wood in the tank but they don't really have height to them. Maybe i'll buy some more. Lol. Thanks again for the advice.
Can you show me a pic of your tank?

I feel like i'm limited to what I can do because of the plants rooted down in the back. Is there any way to move plants without hurting them? Also I think I need to add more substrate. I only have about an inch and a half down. I have two pieces of drift wood in the tank but they don't really have height to them. Maybe i'll buy some more. Lol. Thanks again for the advice.
Can you show me a pic of your tank?

Here's my tank

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/46421-albums11717.html

I like you plants. You don't have to move them. If you stack the 2 pieces of driftwood it will give you height. You can stack more rocks in place of there the other piece was. As far as substrate you don't need a deep sand bed. Not sure about the plants, I'm new to plants but if there doing well I'd keep them and work around them.

And your welcome. Glad to help.

Wow that's awesome. I'm surprised your water is clear with all that driftwood. How long have you been keeping fish? I see what you mean now with the height.

Wow that's awesome. I'm surprised your water is clear with all that driftwood. How long have you been keeping fish? I see what you mean now with the height.

Thank you! :)

I started up again 2 and a half years ago. That tank is 2 years old I think lol. It went through two Christmas's I remember that much lol.

EDIT:

Also I boiled all my driftwood in lobster pots for hours and hours and also soak the pieces before putting them in. I also run purigen and chemi pure elite in both my HOB's

Last edited:
I would echo convicts statement that scapes are never finished. I fart arse about with mine all the time. I would trcommend trying to form some sort of cave. I have 2, one formed from driftwood and one with large marble rocks. It seperates groups of different fish & gives them their own territorys.

Back
Top Bottom