Aquaclear 30 filter media...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I am using the Aquaclear 30 filter on my 29 gallon, and currently run a bio sponge, AC, and the bio enhancer pack (the one that sits on top). What do yall recommend running, I've read some posts that recommend no AC, and some that do? I am trying to save for either an XP2 or 3, but until then, what should I run in my filter? I took the AC out at one point to run an ammonia pack, but took that out after about a week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Bear

You probably don't need AC. It will removed discoloration (say, for example tannins from driftwood). There's also concern it may remove things like fertilizers. It will remove meds so you don't want it in if you're trying to treat the tank. People say it only lasts about a week (although I've personally felt with my tank that it has removed tannins for longer than that) but even after that it is an area for colonization of bacteria. You definitely want foam/sponge; it's both a surface for bacteria and removes larger particles. You may or may not want the "bio enhancer" (it's just another surface for bacteria to grow. Honestly, I think any combination that makes you happy is likely to work. (I used just AC and foam/sponge for years without any difficulty).

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are just trying to "filter" the water for fish etc, then no carbon is needed. If you are trying to clarify the water, then carbon is a great help.

I think really, I'm trying to figure out the ideal filter setup for a 29 gallon established (whenever that happens) tank. I know when I get the rena, I'll need to run the 2 filters together for a while, but should I run the carbon or something else in place?

My aq30 has sponge - biomax - carbon bottom to top. as said you don't have to use carbon but i like to kill off the smell my lights put off (don't ask its CFs and the smell goes into the water somehow). when its time to change this AC i'll probably leave the space blank or use an extra polish pad if my water mucks up

what benefit is there to using filter floss, and can I add some of that in the empty places, but keep everything else? I have some empty space near the bio max packet (thanks for the memory refresher flip), could I add the floss there, or no?

Sure you could. It's just extra mechanical filtration, and removes tiny particles. I use a few aquaclears, and I don't use carbon in them. I stack 2 sponges on top of each other, and put the Biomax on top. It gives me both extra mechanical filtration, and extra surface area for bacteria to colonize.

hmmm...I'm also looking into upgrading the motor to the aq50 motor...flow some extra water, and allow for some better filtration...I'll play around with the filter media...

If running 2 sponges, would it be possible to say run the 2, then when the bottom one nears its end of term, move the top one down to the bottom and add a fresh one on top? to keep that buildup of bio in the tank, without shocking the tank as much? Then add the bio max with a layer of filter floss right before the return port?

Filter floss is 100% polyester? would it be possible to use sewing polyester instead of filter floss, it looks to be essentially the same thing, and there is a fresh supply of the stuff at the house...Is there anything special about filter floss that would differintiate it from the sewing stuff? becuase I can add some of the stuff tonite when I get home I believe...

Do not discard the sponges until they start to disintegrate. That may take 10 years. Just rinse them in tank water every week or two, as necessary.The polyester batting is the same material; just make sure there is no mildewcide on it. If you are using two sponges, you can put it in between the two.
You don't need to upgrade the motor, but rather just change the impeller. the "motors" are the same on all but the 110; different impellers determine the flow rate, as well as the diameter of the suction pipe.
You don't need ac except for the special purposes mentioned previously.

Back
Top Bottom