aquaclear 50 and 70 prefilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any suggestions for a professional looking and effective prefilter for the AC 50 and 70 intake tube?

Deckape said:
Any suggestions for a professional looking and effective prefilter for the AC 50 and 70 intake tube?

Do you mean like a sponge? I've seen them in a LFS, a smaller one made by fluval and a larger one (too big I think) by some othr mfg. The Fluval one looked nice, but I felt it was too fine and it would collect too much gunk that the filter should handle.

Thank you. I should just leave them as is? I will get an old school filter for a breeding tank instead of using a HOB. That would be best right?

Deckape said:
Thank you. I should just leave them as is? I will get an old school filter for a breeding tank instead of using a HOB. That would be best right?

So you want to cover the tube to keep fry safe? I use some mesh bag material zip tied to the intake tube of my little Aqueon. One thing I figured out with mine is even a little filter has too much out flow for fry lol. I ended having to put poly-fil in the out put channel to control the flow (pop bottle cut up trick didn't work for me) so they didn't get shoved around.

My Mom has lost a number of fish (tetras, otos, shrimp and platy fry) up the aquaclear intake tube.
She put a stocking over it and next morning the filter was dry.
Then she cut some sponge out of the filter and stuck it in the tube (per lps suggestion), and it just plugged up the filter.

So I've since suggested she look in the following.
This may be similar to what Mr.Limpet was referring to.
Hagen\Elite sponge filter ...
Aquatic products

Might be able to slip the sponge over the intake, or use the entire thing with a pump for a fry tank.

Mr. Limpet said:
So you want to cover the tube to keep fry safe? I use some mesh bag material zip tied to the intake tube of my little Aqueon. One thing I figured out with mine is even a little filter has too much out flow for fry lol. I ended having to put poly-fil in the out put channel to control the flow (pop bottle cut up trick didn't work for me) so they didn't get shoved around.

Yea, sorry I should have been more specific. Thanks, I appreciate the help. I think I have MTS..... Thanks again

j2112j said:
My Mom has lost a number of fish (tetras, otos, shrimp and platy fry) up the aquaclear intake tube.
Then she cut some sponge out of the filter and stuck it in the tube (per lps suggestion), and it just plugged up the filter.

Aquatic products

Might be able to slip the sponge over the intake, or use the entire thing with a pump for a fry tank.

That's what I will do. I appreciate th help guys.

Aquatic products

Yep, that's the one I thought about trying out.

You can use AC foam inserts by cutting a slot in them and putting it over the intake. For fry tanks, I would still prefer a sponge filter, for a number of reasons.

I use the penguin reverse-flow powerhead replacement sponges. They're black cylinders (look better than light-colored), and the foam is coarse enough that it doesn't clog up with debris and slow down the flow as quickly as other types I've used. Particularly helpful with floating plants like duckweed or hornwort.

I use one made for the fluval edge on the exact same two filters. I just pull it out weekly and rinse it. It blends into the background well.

Pre Filter Sponge

I've used the aquaclear foam sponges and varying netting, but I got tired of the discoloration on the foam and it just didn't look very good. My background is dark so it sticks out like a sore thumb. So far I haven't needed to replace the edge pre-filter. It cleans up well.

Khalix said:
I use one made for the fluval edge on the exact same two filters. I just pull it out weekly and rinse it. It blends into the background well.

Pre Filter Sponge

I've used the aquaclear foam sponges and varying netting, but I got tired of the discoloration on the foam and it just didn't look very good. My background is dark so it sticks out like a sore thumb. So far I haven't needed to replace the edge pre-filter. It cleans up well.

Appreciate the info. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom