Aquaclear 50 filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ant329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone give me proper advice on cleaning my filter, i dont wanna lose any beneficial bacteria..can someone help me step by step.. Filter has 3 layer sandwhich, sponge on bottom carbon bag in middle and biomax bag on top..

First I would change some things I have the same filter do sponge bottom sponge or poly-fil middle and rock bag top.... Next when u do pwc just rinse sponge in tank water (dont replace unless falling apart) if u go with sponge for middle rinse same way if poly-fil replace totally and just rinse rocks in tank water dont replace

I agree with xfactor I have the same setup two sponges. I tried loose poly fill, didn't really like it.

reefdiver said:
I agree with xfactor I have the same setup two sponges. I tried loose poly fill, didn't really like it.

Poly-fil is not for everyone but once u get it down it makes ur water so crystal clear but double sponge is good because if one sponge starts to go bad u replace one and the other has plenty of bb in it

Does the poly-fill really make the tank clearer as supposed to using carbon bag? I notice alot of people take out the carbon bag..how come?

Ant329 said:
Does the poly-fill really make the tank clearer as supposed to using carbon bag? I notice alot of people take out the carbon bag..how come?

Carbon is known to remove trace element from Ur water column, trace elements are essential to Ur fish and plants health! So people use carbon only when they need to remove medication.

Ant329 said:

Yes poly-fil is amazing at making water clear....carbon is only used by most of us to take out meds

reefdiver said:
do you use loose poly fill? Maybe that was my mistake.

Yes loose without anything else in it if the package says fire resistant dont get it u want hamilton brand

Ok thanks for the tip, i took out the carbon bag and put polyfill in instead. Is it normal to see little particles from the poly at first floating around in water. Im guessing anything thats loose in there will fall out, right?

Yes poly-fil is amazing at making water clear....carbon is only used by most of us to take out meds

I agree! ... I have Poly-Fill (bought from Michaels Arts & Craft) in the bottom tray of my fluval 404 and literally overnight my water was visibly much clearer. After one week I changed it out and was surprised by how much gunk it captured. Mind you ... this is stuff that gets past the 4 foam pads, and would've just ended up back in the tank.

Ant329 said:
Ok thanks for the tip, i took out the carbon bag and put polyfill in instead. Is it normal to see little particles from the poly at first floating around in water. Im guessing anything thats loose in there will fall out, right?

sometimes but what to do next time is pull out a hand full run it under ur sink water and it balls up better then add it and then put ur rocks on top... Just make sure u are changing it often or it defeats the purpose

Back
Top Bottom