Aquaclear 50 humming noise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a brand new aquaclear 50 for my bro last night and we set up his new 29 gal tank. It is making a humming noise that isn't very quiet. It's brand new though.. Is this normal for this filter or can I fix it?

I got a brand new aquaclear 50 for my bro last night
and we set up his new 29 gal tank. It is making a humming noise that isn't
very quiet. It's brand new though.. Is this normal for this filter or can I fix it?

Is the noise coming from the lid or impeller?

My AC 70 does that too unfortunately. I just got a penguin 350 and its dead quiet. All you hear is the water...and the AC 70 having a stroke next to it. The ACs must get loud over 20 cause the 20 I have is quiet too though I think the 350 is still quieter than it.

It sounds like it is the impeller. Maybe they are just loud : / I thought it was a nice filter. I hope it quiets down.

Well for all I know we both got bad ones or something. Maybe someone can help work it out?

Hopefully. I googled it and some people say to take the impeller out the motor and lube it with Vaseline or put whatever water conditioner you use on it. And they say try taking the lid off. I'm thinking about swapping it for a different one.

I have 2 AC 70's. One was quiet from the start, but the other took some time
to quiet down. Make sure the intake tube is pushed all the way down then try
unplugging it and plugging back in a few times. If that doesn't work you can
remove the impeller and coat the shaft with petroleum jelly. Give it some
time...they are great filters.

Taking the lid off seems to make mine slightly quieter. Yeah you could always get a new one. Save the media if you can if you're already cycled with it though so you can seed the new one

Try keeping the lid on but put a little weight on it, I keep a 20 oz water bottle on mine and makes a huge difference on the 70

Haha yeh It just came out the box. Imma try to do some stuff to quiet it down. I will the the petroleum jelly or something. Might YouTube it a bit. If all fails I'll just return in for the same one and hope its quieter

You might check whether opening it up voids the warranty first though. I've yet to do that but some places are picky about 'tinkering'. Though since they require maintenance from time to time maybe not.

Mine made that humming noise for like 2 weeks after I bought it but once it got "broken in" the filter has been completely silent.

Keeping a somewhat heavy bottle on the lid and taking out the impeller and reinsterting it a few times definitely does help with the noise a bit in the mean time.

I have the AQ50. There is a little grey plastic piece that fits right over the impellor. It can be removed for cleaning impellor. If this piece is not firmly in place and all the way down and flat, it can make it noisey. You might look at that. Hope this helps. Luck, OS.

Back
Top Bottom