Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

AquaClear 70 loud

I just bought an AquaClear 70 yesterday and I put Vaseline on the impeller shaft and the impeller itself, but it makes noise when itís on the low setting, but is quiet on the high setting. I donít mind keeping it on the high setting, but I feel itís too much flow and surface agitation so Iím thinking about ordering an impeller for the AC 50 and putting it in the 70 to reduce the flow a little bit or maybe I should order a new AC 70 impeller.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have the same filter and it's really quiet. The only noise i get is occasional rattling if the lid isn't on properly.
What's making the noise? Impeller? If so, and you just bought it, i'd try to return it for a replacement.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you raise the water level in the tank to reduce the surface agitation? Flow shouldn't be a problem with that size HOB and your tank size.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Can you raise the water level in the tank to reduce the surface agitation? Flow shouldn't be a problem with that size HOB and your tank size.

The water level is high
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquaclears are noisy for a few weeks until the impeller gunks up. You also have to make sure the lid is secured in just the right position / The intake tube needs to be firmly seated and the flow lever needs to be postioned to the far left, max flow setting. If the flow is too strong for your tank, attach a foam sponge to the intake strainer.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I once had a silent AC50 and a terribly noisy one (brand new). I swapped the impellers and the result was two pretty quiet filters.
Getting an AC50 impeller sounds like a good idea. Nice to have a spare.

Tags
aquac, aquaclear, aquaclear 70, clear, loud

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com