aquaclear 70 or 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so here's my dilemma i have a 55 gal tank sitting empty and when payday comes this week i will be upgrading everything on it gravel to sand, lighting, and filters.
right now i have two aqueon 55 filters on it and personally i dont like them anymore. so my question is will two ac70 be enough on a medium bio load or would i have to get two ac110?

TYIA:thanks:

I run 2 70's on my 55, will be taking it and a 40 tall down soon to set up a 7' 220. They're fine for anything less than a crowded tankful of Malawi mbuna IMO. I also have 2 spare 70's on hand now from other tank size upgrades, they won't fit over the rims of 75 gallon or larger tanks.

I would personally go with the 110's. If you upgrade later to a larger tank then you will have filters for it. Besides the difference in price between 70's and 110's is minimal. You can never over filter a tank;)

AquaClear Power Filters

Good morning Lunch...

I have several 55 G tanks and use just an AquaClear 50 in each of them. But, I regularly do 50 percent water changes, so the water stays clean.

An aquarium filter is no substitute for frequent and partial water changes. It just removes toxic substances in the water and replaces those with less toxic ones.

So, if you've set up and follow a sound water change schedule, then you won't need to go to the expense of a large power filter.

B

BBradbury said:
Good morning Lunch...

I have several 55 G tanks and use just an AquaClear 50 in them. But, I reguarly do 50 percent water changes, so the water stays clean.

An aquarium filter is no substitute for frequent and partial water changes. It just removes toxic substances in the water and replaces those with less toxic ones.

So, if you've set up and follow a sound water change schedule, then you won't need to go to the expense of a large power filter.

B

That is a fact. Great advice as always. I agree completely. You can't go wrong with Aquaclear or Fluval though. I prefer 2 HOBS. I like having redundant, parallel systems. My opinion on your question is 2 AC 70's. But like B said, they wont replace regular maintenance.

One AC 70 with 2 sponges and the bio rings would probably be enough. A single 110 for sure. Once you get the ammonia and nitrite down to zero, anything more is just extra flow and a tendency to neglect maintenance.

You're in a cost area that would allow you to upgrade to a canister style filter, like a Fluval 305. Is there a reason you are not considering these?

Back
Top Bottom