Aquaclear Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jconner3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an Aquaclear 70 filter on one of my tanks and the water has started flowing back in the tank from around the intake tube, and its making my water kind of dirty. Anyone know why this is happening? I googled it and people were saying it's because the sponges are clogged but I rinse them every 2 weeks in tank water and I didn't want to cause a mini cycle by replacing any of the media so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

I know it usually happenss on the penquin biowheel filters when the cartridge needs rinsing or changing. Not really sure how the aquaclears work, but what i do with my TopFin 60 is; try turning it off and taking the intake tube out to see if the spinny thing (idk techincal term), should be attached to a magnet that gets spun by the motor, is clogged. I really hope this helps!!

Hmm i checked and its not clogged or anything, I even cleaned it with a Q tip to be sure and its still doing it :(

What media do you have in it. I had sponge, rings, and poly fiber. That was causing mine to do that. When you rinse your sponge do you squeeze it out or bang it against the bucket

Ive got 2 sponges and biomax. I squeeze them out in the bucket and try and wipe off the excess gunk on them.

Your Hagen AquaClear

I have an Aquaclear 70 filter on one of my tanks and the water has started flowing back in the tank from around the intake tube, and its making my water kind of dirty. Anyone know why this is happening? I googled it and people were saying it's because the sponges are clogged but I rinse them every 2 weeks in tank water and I didn't want to cause a mini cycle by replacing any of the media so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Hello J...

I noticed this when I used the sponge that came with the filter. The problem for me was the sponge takes up then entire bottom of the filter and the material clogs easily. When I went to a polyfiber pad and cut it a little smaller than the bottom of the filter, the water flowed through the filter more easily and the new material doesn't clog as quickly.

Just a thought.

B

I run two sponges on my AC 50 without any problems. You may have a crack in the uptake tube that's causing it to lose the siphon.

David

Is the filter even and fully level or does it tilt to the side or forward into the tank? Sometimes changing that will help, but also look for cracks.

Well, theres no cracks and the filter is level. I think i may buy a new filter if i cant get it to stop.

i run two sponges on mine as well so that is not the problem. Make sure the intake tube is pushed all the way down where it meets the impeller. Also if you are using both plastic pieces for the intake tube try just using one section

Back
Top Bottom