Aquaclear Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an aqua clear 50 and do i really need a carbon insert?
if so how often should i change it?

Paulcm10 said:

You only need carbon to remove meds from the tank if you've dosed the tank. if you use it replace it every 1-2 months

You don't need to use the carbon , and can fill that space with a second sponge insert, which will increase the filtering capability. The sponge inserts are then cleaned as necessary in old tank water, and will last for many years.

Using Chemical Medium

Hello P...

If you do large, weekly water changes, then you don't need chemical (carbon) medium. The water changes will do much more to keep the water pure than carbon. You don't necessarily have to replace it with anything, simply leave it out.

Aquarium Tip For The Day: Do the weekly, large water changes and you can toss the carbon.

B

Hello P...

If you do large, weekly water changes, then you don't need chemical (carbon) medium. The water changes will do much more to keep the water pure than carbon. You don't necessarily have to replace it with anything, simply leave it out.

Aquarium Tip For The Day: Do the weekly, large water changes and you can toss the carbon.

B

Just curious, what is your reasoning here? Carbon will remove medicine and tannins from your water. Other than that it really just becomes a bacteria bed. The water changes "reset" your tank's parameters, carbon does not do this. I think we are talking apples and oranges here.

When I ran my AC50 I ran it with sponge at the bottom, biorings in the middle and some polyfill on top in a mesh bag. The poly really helps polish the water and trap the fine particles the sponge misses.

Using Carbon Medium

Hello mee...

Carbon works well, but it's not necessary for a healthy tank. A simple, large water change every week removes many more dissolved substances than carbon.

Large, weekly water changes don't reset water properties, they guarantee stable water conditions. I'll go out a little further on my limb and say that if one changes half the water in their tank every week, then there's no reason to even test the water. It will always be safe for the fish. The reason being the water isn't in the tank long enough, so pollutants have no time to build up before the next large change.

Water changes are the easiest way to maintain an aquarium, easier than messing with different filter media, over filtering, using chemicals for water clarity or whatever reason, etc.

Anyway, you get the idea.

B

Hello mee...

Carbon works well, but it's not necessary for a healthy tank. A simple, large water change every week removes many more dissolved substances than carbon.

Large, weekly water changes don't reset water properties, they guarantee stable water conditions. I'll go out a little further on my limb and say that if one changes half the water in their tank every week, then there's no reason to even test the water. It will always be safe for the fish. The reason being the water isn't in the tank long enough, so pollutants have no time to build up before the next large change.

Water changes are the easiest way to maintain an aquarium, easier than messing with different filter media, over filtering, using chemicals for water clarity or whatever reason, etc.

Anyway, you get the idea.

B

I completely agree with you. Your last post almost made it seem like carbon and water changes do the same thing though.

BBradd- well i don't do large water change because i will be having RCS soon because i tested my tap water and it had 2 to 4ppm ammonia. I only do 30% water change. so with my situation should i still take out the Carbon? just like everyone else is saying?

Meegosh- just curious i plan on having bamboo shrimps later on. Which feeds on from the fine particles in the water. so is it still okay for me to get a polyfill with my bamboo shrimp?

The carbon should still be removed, IMO. It will do nothing to get your ammonia down. I've never used those ammonia chips/removers but I hear in some instances they do work.

I've never kept bamboo's so I can't comment on that. I guess in theory if they are filter feeders then you wouldn't want to filter everything out. Even with the polyfill in place it will still leave some particles, how much though, I'm not sure.

Using Carbon Medium

BBradd- well i don't do large water change because i will be having RCS soon because i tested my tap water and it had 2 to 4ppm ammonia. I only do 30% water change. so with my situation should i still take out the Carbon? just like everyone else is saying?

Meegosh- just curious i plan on having bamboo shrimps later on. Which feeds on from the fine particles in the water. so is it still okay for me to get a polyfill with my bamboo shrimp?

Hello again P...

If ammonia is an issue, then adding a little of Seachem's "Prime" will remove it. Large, frequent water changes will guarantee stable water conditions. The small water changes, not as much, but need to be done weekly.

Hope this information is helpful.

B

Back
Top Bottom