Aquaclear Fish Nursery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I don't have any of my spare filters or parts with me (I just moved and left them in storage, I have a whole box full of various Aquaclear models and some random parts) but i was wondering if it would be possible to turn a AC filter into a fish nursery. I just had my lophiobagrus cyclurus (dwarf tanganyikan bullhead catfish) spawn and have no room for a spare tank right now. I also can't stand the sound of an air pump as the tank is in my room, so that removes the possibility of an air driven nursery. The tank is only a 20 gallon long, so a mesh would be difficult as well. So here's my plan:

Take a larger AC filter, like a 50 or 70, and remove the impeller. I would replace it with an impeller from the model 1 size down (smaller impeller=less flow). I would add some sponge around the inside, so the fry couldn't swim into the impeller or anything. If the flow was still too strong, I could either go lower on the impeller size, or put a porous material in the intake tube. I would possibly silicone a small piece of grid/mesh across the overflow, so the fry couldn't jump into the main tank. Finish it off with some moss for the inside.

So does this seem like a viable nursery? Anyone think of any specific downsides to it? Like I said, my supplies are 500 miles away, but eventually I'll be able to go back home and grab the stuff I need. I've seen people use them to make refugiums, which need low flow, so I figured why not use it as a fish nursery? Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom